The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car seems to do whatever it wants on the highway. It moves all over the place left to right needing constant steering corrections. It doesn't feel very stable and I am unconfident driving it. Brought it to the dealer a few times and they say everything is fine. Does anyone have any ideas or experience the same symptoms? It also seems to catch the grooves in the road and ruthlessly folow them all. The tires are stock 205/60/15's, and the air pressure is always set to 29 front, 29 rear.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
You're not the first person here to complain about this. There was some guy a while back who was going around and around with his dealer to try to fix the same problem. Unfortunately this guy got pissed off for some reason and never posted here again, so I don't think we found out what the problem was.

He complained to Nissan, got a "Master Mechanic" to deal with the problem, but I don't know what happened after that. I know that GXE-LE's have sway-bar problems, but it's mostly a noise thing I think. Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe someone else remembers more about it.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
my car is out a alignment but i'm getting the tires rotated and all that done next week... i'm on the stock steelies but i set my pressure to 31.....

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
increase tire pressure to 32-33.

Also, if the car has under 12K since you've bought it (or less than a yr), go to the dealer and tell them you want the alignment and balance checked, and want to see printouts.

AS part of your warranty, most maintenance items (like brake pads, balance, alignment) is covered by the manufacturers warranty if they are bad or out of spec.

Increasing your tire pressure should help the groove situation...

now has the car been driven under windy conditions? the wind is bad at pushing the car around...

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
victor said:
Increasing your tire pressure should help the groove situation...

now has the car been driven under windy conditions? the wind is bad at pushing the car around...

in my case, it's the roads, not the wind. the freeways in L.A. SUCK ASS! my car handles better down here in San Diego...

·
Registered
78 Posts
i had the same problem in my '95, then i bought eibach pro kit springs and suspension techniques(stillen) sway bar and it is rock solid

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had posted a similar problem before the server upgrades ocurred. From Day One on my new Altima (only had it a few weeks) it was pulling different ways and there was this horrendous thumping and pulsating sound coming from the front passenger side tire.

I took it to Nissan to have it checked. After having it all day they said there was something wrong with the tire and to go to blah blah blah to get it replaced.

Well I took it to the tire place and the gentleman (real nice guy) said there is a flat spot on that tire. He showed it to me and informed me that it isn't covered under warranty because the tire isn't defective. I said if it isn't defective why I'm I having problems. He then explained to me that NEW cars will develop this problem because somebody test driving or moving the vehicle will brake abruptly or run over something to cause the flat spot. (I think he gave me some other possibilities but I can't remember them)

Next, I asked what is the solution? He the told me that the flat spot will work its way out and the best thing to do is rotate the tire to the rear and it won't be so noticeable soundwise and the pulling will vanish.

Well, I did just that and the car isn't all over the road now. For about a week I still heard the thumping in the rear (he said I would) but now the thumping is almost completely gone. So it seems the tire guy knows his stuff.

BTW: I HAVE GENERAL TIRES THE SAME SIZE YOU POSTED!

Hope this helps,

JB

·
Registered
29 Posts
not that it is the same car...

but alot of the b15 sentra's came from the factory with excessive tow in. they also had a mind of their own on the interstate. Even worse where the roads crowned. (the terrible OE tires didn't help either.)

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Re: Re: 2001 Altima with a mind of its own on the highway, please help..

Jazz-Bass-75 said:

Well I took it to the tire place and the gentleman (real nice guy) said there is a flat spot on that tire. He showed it to me and informed me that it isn't covered under warranty because the tire isn't defective. I said if it isn't defective why I'm I having problems. He then explained to me that NEW cars will develop this problem because somebody test driving or moving the vehicle will brake abruptly or run over something to cause the flat spot. (I think he gave me some other possibilities but I can't remember them)

JB
this same thing happened when my 1st set of tires wore out.. They were feathering up in one spot. Sears (authorized General seller) tried telling me that same bullshit. I told him (and General's warranty rep) that THEY were BS because in 4000 miles they were getting progressively worse and that I had NEVER done a hard brake where I skid or lock up. After some hassling, they sent the replacements, and Sears tried to make me pay for mounting. I showed them them warranty info saying if its replaced General foots the balance/mount charge.. so I got those free.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Victor,

I can guarantee you that if the problem isn't gone by my first tire rotation; I will RAISE MUCHO HELL ABOUT IT!!! I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few thousand miles. If it doesn't disappear I will go back and I will kick some @$$!!!

Then, that place will never get any of my tire business EVER! Then I will.....well let's leave it at that.

Don't buy GENERAL!

JB

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Jazz-Bass-75 said:
Victor,

I can guarantee you that if the problem isn't gone by my first tire rotation; I will RAISE MUCHO HELL ABOUT IT!!! I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few thousand miles. If it doesn't disappear I will go back and I will kick some @$$!!!

Then, that place will never get any of my tire business EVER! Then I will.....well let's leave it at that.

Don't buy GENERAL!

JB
you didn't call General's warranty did you?

if you did, you are basically screwed as they have record of you.. if not, then you can go to another shop. I just called them up first then went to a shop they told me to. I argued with the shop until they submitted and contacted General and told them...

·
Registered
30 Posts
victor said:

you didn't call General's warranty did you?

if you did, you are basically screwed as they have record of you.. if not, then you can go to another shop. I just called them up first then went to a shop they told me to. I argued with the shop until they submitted and contacted General and told them...
No, GENERAL was NOT called. So if a problem comes up I will take it to another shop then!

Thanks for the tip about that!!!!

JB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts