The Nissan Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked at the other posts about this issue with still no luck. Anyone know how to aim the 2001 headlights? I see two possible things that could adjust the aim. One is as bolt that has as circular wheel around it with little teeth which will turn. The other thing I see is a little gray cap that is probably covering a bolt...(probably the damn adjustment bolt) but I cant seem to figure out a way to get it off without breaking it. Please someone help. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures!

Here is a pic of the grey screwcap thing I see behind the light...how do I remove this? It doesnt seem to want to just pull off. Is this the height adjustment for the light?

This is the rotating bolt on the outside edge of the light. It doesnt seem to adjust the height, maybe this adjusts left to right. Any suggestions anyone???

·
I sleep with my car
34 Posts
get a large star-ended screwdriver..

the edges should catch that gear-looking white plastic bolt, adjusting the horizontal adjustment of the light

figured that out today ;)

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
Scotte said:
get a large star-ended screwdriver..

the edges should catch that gear-looking white plastic bolt, adjusting the horizontal adjustment of the light

figured that out today ;)
yup.. put your phillips in there and while parked in front of some wall, rotate it around til you get the desired aim.. please see my link I posted above for the aiming diagram.. straight from nissan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
voila!

I figured it out. The adjustment screw isnt a screw at all...its a bolt. Its in the second picture. It takes a 8mm socket and just turn it around a few times and you will see the light aiming up and down. Im assuming under the grey cap there is a bolt to aim left and right, but that sucker just wasnt coming off. Thanks for the help.

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
401 Posts
so are there any other tips for aiming your headlights in an '01 Altima?

I can't seem to get my driver side to go any higher. It is way off compared to the passenger side.

I also need to get them both to come more towards the center of the car to be aiming straight.

·
///M Time!
1,986 Posts
Wow 5 year bump. :crazy:

I have tried to adjust the horizontal position of my headlights, but I was not able to do it either. I may try that guys trick above to stick a screw driver in there.

If your driver's side cannot go any higher, then lower the passenger side light.

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
401 Posts
^ but that's just it, the driver side light is too low to keep it there and lower the passenger light.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your driver's side light is supposed to be lower than the passenger side. Lower and slightly towards center. Passenger light should follow the outside white line.

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
401 Posts
well, that makes sense but my OEM lights were never like that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's the way I was taught to manually aim lights. If you are using aftermarket lights, I would check to make sure you lights are seated properly. Your driver's side may be tilted more than the passenger side. Also, sounds stupid and I'm not trying to doubt your intellegence at all, but make sure the bulb is seated properly. I did this in my first gen when I first got it...I'm LOL at myself right now, remembering the good old days when I knew nothing....

·
Registered
299 Posts
JDM? You know that their beam pattern is very different than what we have here in the states. IIRC, JDM and EURO spec lights are aimed much lower than USDM spec. USDM allows for a much farther spead of light because much of our country is rural. JDM and EURO and aimed lower because much of their countries are urban. Also, they drive on the other side of the road so the beam will be shifted a bit to the left as well.

BTW, I don't believe JDM spec lights are legal to use. I would bet you'd never get caught though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thats what I was trying to say, although looking back, i didn't...lol, but you may not be able to, their beam patterns are aimed lower. Going higher may not be an option unless you shim the light somehow. You may be as high as JDM will allow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.