The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows about WHAT you have to do to change the Spark Plugs on a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 Liter engine. I looked at it and it looked like it was gonna be a bitch. So I called up Nissan and they said it was $315 for labor...and LABOR ALONE. So I am definatly gonna do it myself. But I was wondering if ANYONE can PLEASE give me some advice on WHAT needs to come out (if anything) to change th eplugs. AND HELP would be great. THANKS in ADVANCE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't changed them on a Pathy but if it is like the other 3.5's of Nissan's you are probably going to have to pull the upper intake plennum. It's been a while since I have been under the hood of one of these, sorry. If it is like the others it is not to bad,just be careful unplugging stuff. Connectors get brittle after a few years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday on my 02 PF. you'll need an allen wrench, a 10mm short and a 10mm deep socket, a couple long extensions and a plug socket. It's a pretty easy job. you have to remove the throttle body from the plenum along with the rubber section of the intake tube. Now you'll have access to all the coil packs. Each coil pack is held on with one 10mm bolt. I did mine one at a time. On the passenger side you'll see a couple wiring harnesses bolted to the plenum via a couple brackets with 10mm bolts. I unbolted the brackets and pulled the wiring harnesses to the other side of the tranny dipstick. Those 3 coilpacks are easy access. I got the NGK iridium plugs from Napa for $8.49 each. Autozone sells the Denso iridiums for 12.99 each and none of them near me stocked them so I went with the NGKs. Nissan recommends the iridium plugs and they came factory with NGKs. My PF has 124K on the stock plugs so it's all a matter of how often you want to do this job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I guess I am a little behind on this. The only ones I have fooled with for the past few years is Altima, Maxima,Quest, Titans, Sentras, and the big Suv's. I haven't been under the hood of a Frontier or Pathfinder in years. I hate to give bad info.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday on my 02 PF. you'll need an allen wrench, a 10mm short and a 10mm deep socket, a couple long extensions and a plug socket. It's a pretty easy job. you have to remove the throttle body from the plenum along with the rubber section of the intake tube. Now you'll have access to all the coil packs. Each coil pack is held on with one 10mm bolt. I did mine one at a time. On the passenger side you'll see a couple wiring harnesses bolted to the plenum via a couple brackets with 10mm bolts. I unbolted the brackets and pulled the wiring harnesses to the other side of the tranny dipstick. Those 3 coilpacks are easy access. I got the NGK iridium plugs from Napa for $8.49 each. Autozone sells the Denso iridiums for 12.99 each and none of them near me stocked them so I went with the NGKs. Nissan recommends the iridium plugs and they came factory with NGKs. My PF has 124K on the stock plugs so it's all a matter of how often you want to do this job.

Thanks for all of the detailed info in your response to this thread. I am the new owner of a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder I look forward to performing this service and more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts