The Nissan Club banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Doug, I thought I was getting a way too good price for that engine for some reason. I pulled the plugs today and the engine shows it has ran good. The oil looks pretty clean and does not have a burned smell so, so far it looks good. I did take the intake off and can't use any part of it on this engine. I will have to use the intake that came off the 2.5. The bad part is one of the butterflys is gone along with two screws that held it in place. The other three are loose so I will need to take care of that.

I don't have a clue where I will find one of the butterfly flaps and screws. Hopefully a junk yard will have one. Here is the engine:

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
sounds like a plan...btw I'd grab the whole intake from the MAF to manifold while you're at it (ie TB too). Glad you got a good price!

Need a little red Loctite now... :devil

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I cannot find another butterfly so I am going to make one. I found some very stiff metal today the same thickness so I am going to give it a try.

I got the car back at the front of the garage/shop today and am in the process of getting that engine out. I have decided to pull engine and transmission all out the top. I started pulling the passenger side CV joint today, but I hit a snag already. The nut on the end of the CV joint will not come loose. I put a 4 foot pipe on the breaker bar and it still will not turn loose. It is a right hand thread isn't it?

Just had a thought, I think I will put the wheel back on and let it down, I think it will break easier. My torch is broken so I can't put heat to the nut but I did spray it with deep creep.

·
7,040 Posts
Yes, no LH threads on Altimas. You don't have to put the wheel down, you can use a helper standing on the brakes too. You will need heat, especially if it has seen salt. Getting the passenger side CV out can be a little tricky..there are other posts around the carrier bearing...but in your case, you aren't replacing, just removing...so maybe you can just remove the carrier bracket along with the CV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks Doug, I did watch several videos this evening and saw where you are right, the threads are right hand threads. I also have been searching the forum and found a lot of great information. I did find that the dealer does have the butterflys and the screws, I just hope the dealer here does.

While reading here on the forum, I found the loose screws and butterfiles coming loose it the 2.5 is not just an isolated incident, it looks pretty common in the 2002-2006 2.5 engines. I also watch a fellow who eliminated all of the butterflies on his V6 and liked the results. I was wondering if I could do the same thing with the 2.0 using the 2.5 intake. I found that the car will have very little low end power without the butterflies, so that is out.

I wish I didn't have to use the 2.5 intake on the 2.0 but there is no other way. If it weren't for the butterfly and pre-cat issue, Nissan would have a winner.

I guess next I will need to research the Pathfinder really good before I buy one. We have a 2000 Nissan Altima and have had a few major problems that I fixed myself but it is a good little car and runs great...now.

·
7,040 Posts
You'll have found this post by now?

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...-valve-power-valve-intake-manifold-issue.html

Complete parts list and part number provided in the post. Recreated here for your benefit:

8 screws (Nissan calls them "Pin Dowel") part # 14511-38U00 $2.33/each
$18.64

1 Gasket 14035-8J001 $7.80
1 Gasket 14032-8J000 $5.35
2 Plates 14513-8J000 $3.97/each

You should be able to get these online too:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-valve-power~14513-8j000.html (for example)

Should probably have ref'd a board sponsor like Tasca, my bad.

and have 'em shipped right to you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I finally got the axle nut off the passenger side, broke my 1/2 drive ratchet. I finally got a 2 foot pipe, breaker bar and used the car jack to put pressure on the pipe, worked like a charm. The other side is the real problem, the wheel spins even with all the weight of the car on wheel on the ground. I will get it Monday, I think I have a way that will stop that wheel. I have no one right now to hold the brakes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Finally got the other axle nut off, well my grandson did.
I pulled the engine today, It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, it came right out with no trouble at all.

I disconnected the transmission and checked to see if the flywheel on the 2.0 would work with the 2.5 transmission and starter. No such luck, I will need to use the flywheel off the 2.5 on the 2.0 for the transmission and all to work. Well you guessed it, I don't have a E-20 Torx Socket to get the flywheel off. I have called everybody and his brother, no luck. I hope I can find one tomorrow locally, if not I will have to wait for one I order online.

A few pictures:

·
7,040 Posts
Great progress! I like how the grandson has some skin in the game now too...been my experience that teaching people that you really can do some seemingly 'impossible' things with some careful research and planning and the right tools (well, excepting the whole E-20 bit and all!) and with a whole lot of creative problem solving along the way.

BTW what method did you finally use on the second axle nut? Someone else will no doubt come tripping along in the future with the same problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Doug, I had sprayed the Deep Creep on the nut the night before, Drew (our grandson) came over before he had to go to work. I held the brake while he, with zero strain at all, loosened the nut. Kinda made me feel like a wimp. LOL Well Drew is about 6 foot 2 and 280 so that may have some bearing on it. I have never had the problem with the wheel turning while off the jack and all the weight of the car on the ground.

Anyway, today will be spent looking for the e-20 torx socket and see if the dealer has the power valve butterfly and screws. Doug, I really appreciate all the help you have given me, thank you.

·
7,040 Posts
Good luck hunting...probably a Harbour Freight thing if you cannot get a local NAPA outlet to find one.

I have had the wheel spin thing happen on a Gen4 turbo Passat I used to have while replacing the DS drive shaft. Crafty Germans decided to use a bolt to hold the axle in and more bolts to hold the wheels on--no nutz anywhere! Torque spec was something insane like 250 ftlbs plus 1/4 rotation...I had the car on the ground and needed a helper stomping on the brakes and was literally standing on the end of a 3' cheater bar and still could NOT get the 1/4 rotation...called it Gudenteitenhoff and went for beers. Apparently it's a stretch bolt...so it mechanically deforms inside the end of the drive shaft. I kept the old $12 axle bolt as a souvenir and a warning about ever buying Audi platform cars again....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Good luck hunting...probably a Harbour Freight thing if you cannot get a local NAPA outlet to find one.

I have had the wheel spin thing happen on a Gen4 turbo Passat I used to have while replacing the DS drive shaft. Crafty Germans decided to use a bolt to hold the axle in and more bolts to hold the wheels on--no nutz anywhere! Torque spec was something insane like 250 ftlbs plus 1/4 rotation...I had the car on the ground and needed a helper stomping on the brakes and was literally standing on the end of a 3' cheater bar and still could NOT get the 1/4 rotation...called it Gudenteitenhoff and went for beers. Apparently it's a stretch bolt...so it mechanically deforms inside the end of the drive shaft. I kept the old $12 axle bolt as a souvenir and a warning about ever buying Audi platform cars again....
Some cars can be a real pain to say the least.

I picked up the socket and Loctite this morning from NAPA, they were to only place in town that had the socket. I called the Nissan dealer this morning to get the butterfly and screws. One dealer said I had to buy the whole intake manifold, I told that was not correct, I said I know for a fact I can buy that part alone. He insisted I would have to buy the intake. I told him I appreciated his help and hung up. There is another Nissan dealer in town and they said the same thing. I called back with the parts # and they will have that butterfly here in the morning. I had to order the 8 screws online, it cost me $11.83 for the screws and $11.23 for shipping and handling. All eight screws won't weigh a 1/2 ounce, that is just stupid but what am I going to do.

I was told the e-20 socket would not work unless about 3/16 was ground off the end. I see why, it is chamfered and the flywheel bolts are very low profile, with the bevel there, the socket won't bit but will slip.

·
7,040 Posts
Wow...super useful info^^! I think I'll be using your posts/thread for future JDM conversion references!

Sorry to hear about the shipping...but trust me as a Canuck, I truly know about being rear ended by shipping costs! Free to 50 states and then $40+ to go 45 miles north of the border (not including tariffs). Any enterprising folk at USPS looking to buy a slightly used postal service for amalgamation purposes?!?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Doug, I need to do some research to see if there are any problems swapping the flywheels from the 2.5 to the 2.0. The 2.0 flywheel is smaller than the flywheel on the 2.5. The starter mounts on the 2.0 on the block facing the transmission, so the flywheel is smaller. The starter on the 2.5 mounts on top of the transmission facing forward so the flywheel needs to be larger. I sure don't want to change out a flywheel that won't be balanced to the 2.0 as it would vibrate and mess something up. I just hope there are no weights on either one. I haven't been out in the shop today so I haven't looked. I hope to get out there in a little while though. I will let you know if there are any weights on either.

I will also look online to see if anyone else has had problems swapping the flywheels. If you hear anything I sure would appreciate knowing. Oh, one more thing, since the starter doesn't mount on the block now, there will be a hole there where the starter went. I will need to devise something to cover that hole.

·
7,040 Posts
It's the same block, same crank, just underbored compared to the 2.5. There should be no (extra) vibrations as flywheels are manufactured to avoid that very problem. As long as you clean any contamination from the mating areas and bolts you should be more than fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
That is good to know. I didn't see any counter weights on either flywheel. The 2.0 is 1 inch in diameter narrower then the 2.5. I checked and the e-20 socket fits the flywheel bolts but what I read about grinding the end off the socket off is right.

·
7,040 Posts
Presumably the crank pulley for the 2.5 incorporates additional damping capability over the 2.0 as well. Have you compared part numbers for the flywheel bolts just to be sure?

I know you said it was missing things like the alternator and compressor...but did it come with the starter? If so, you should be able to gut that and make a decent looking 'plug' for the hole, no?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I am afraid it didn't come with a starter, but I have that pretty well covered, I think. The area is flat so all I plan to do is make an aluminum plate to cover it. I will let you know if it works or not.

·
7,040 Posts
Sounds like a plan...oh, and forget my comments about the crank pulley/dampener...why make work, no one else has mentioned any kind of issue with the flywheel swap...at least not that I've come across.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts