The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the 2002 Altima automatic shifter can be used as if it is a manual clutch? Or, should it be always on "D"?:)

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing the replies to this thread, since I have wondered that myself. :cool:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You can run it through the gears manually if thats what you're asking but it is not a full "manumatic"...you cannot start in second for example, if the selector is in 2 it will start from a roll in first and then shift to second at the time the computer thinks is best but it won't shift any higher than that until you move the lever.

You can do this day in and day out with no ill effects to your tranny as long as you don't do anything stupid like try to downshift to second at high speeds...I don't think the computer will let you do it, but I'm not planning on checking either.

I strongly recommend you drive your car normally for awhile to let the engine and transmission break in properly before you do any really spirited driving...I usually don't have any real fun in my new cars until they've had their first oil change.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
When you really put your foot in it the tranny does a good job of shifting pretty close to redline even with the lever in 'D'.

Anyone else notice that the gap between 1st and 2nd is waaayyy too big on the autos? The car takes off hard but kind of dies after the first shift because it falls out of the power band.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Traction Control

carfreak67 said:
When you really put your foot in it the tranny does a good job of shifting pretty close to redline even with the lever in 'D'.

Anyone else notice that the gap between 1st and 2nd is waaayyy too big on the autos? The car takes off hard but kind of dies after the first shift because it falls out of the power band.
Try it Without Traction Control!;)

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Re: Traction Control

Ratwayne said:

Try it Without Traction Control!;)
No traction control on my car to turn off.
Maybe I'm just used to the gear spread on the close ratio Muncie in my Malibu.
But the auto in the Alti has got more gears so I was hoping it would keep pulling hard out of the hole after that first shift. :(

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Re: Re: Traction Control

carfreak67 said:

No traction control on my car to turn off.
Maybe I'm just used to the gear spread on the close ratio Muncie in my Malibu.
But the auto in the Alti has got more gears so I was hoping it would keep pulling hard out of the hole after that first shift. :(
Traction Control System comes with the 3.5 SE Automatic Transmission Package...........

·
Registered
270 Posts
CarFreak:
I can totally relate, but then again there is NO replacement for displacement with any of the muscle Malibu's!
Mine is a 70' Chevelle 454SS

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Where I got my Name

G.Andrews said:
CarFreak:
I can totally relate, but then again there is NO replacement for displacement with any of the muscle Malibu's!
Mine is a 70' Chevelle 454SS
That is where the Rat in Ratwayne came from. I love the Rat motor. I went to the mouse for economy but miss the big blocks.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts