The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a pioneer 740 for my 2002 altima. After the stereo shop hooked it up it had little or no Fm reception. But after a few calls he found that being that it had a antenna in the back window he had to hook up the power antenna lead. This made it a little better but it still isnt as good as the factory radio.
When you plug it in it works fine. Is there some kind of antenna adapter suppose to be in place, they said it called for a n-410 I thin but that I did not need it because I had a motorolla end on the antenna already. I just dont think they hooked it up right. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? Or is anyone having the same problems with fm reception?

·
M W S
386 Posts
i thought i had read somewhere that the altima requires a booster for the antenna signal, because it is buried in the glass. i don't know if the amplifier is part of the bose system or a separate unit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
02altima

Yes same problem I have a Sony M600 put it in 2 weeks ago, radio reception is awful. Little to no FM reception and NO AM reception at all.
My stock stereo has excellent reception. I installed stereo both with/ and without power antenna lead connected made no measurable difference.
Stock head unit is back in, Sony back to factory repair on disk return:angry4:
I will wait, post back and let us know what you were able to do to improve reception.

Also what kit did use? American International has a really nice kit..I had some felt added to bottom compartment, works mint to store my cell phone in!

Keep us posted!
~J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When we hooked up the power antenna lead it did pick up better but not much. All the metra books call for a antenna adapter. Other radio shops tell me that it should pick upas good as the orignal, I think that the place that did mine just wants me to buy XM radio. I did not have the bose in my car just the regular, like I said it picked up fine. Thought maybe someone might have a piece of the puzzle that the stereo shop left off. If you have fixed this problem let me know please. Sucks not to have a radio. Cds getting to expensive. Thanks for the help so far though.:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Antenna amplifier

The box near the rear glass and connected to the antenna is the antenna amplifier. It gets power from the 'original radio'... meaning, you must find a way to switch the amplifier back on again from the new radio or a manual switch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Many people have had this problem. In a 02- 03 altima, when you change the radio and use the a wiring harness there is 1 wire that is left out that you need to provide 12V+ to because our Alti's have a amplifyed antenna. I forgot the color for the wire. Even people who have had there radio's professionaly installed have had this problem because the wiring harness they buy to install does not have a connection for it.

"The power Antenna is a green/silver slashed wire which leads to a plastic connector that goes to a black wire to the rear of the car. So for any of you that need to know this. Its the green/silver slashed wire on the large connector."

"Connect the Green/Silver wire to the 'remote' or 'power antenna' wire from your radio (for radio reception). Connect the blue wire from the car's wire harness to ground (for trip computer)."

I got it from the following Link

http://www.nissantalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71905&highlight=antenna+reception

·
Registered
56 Posts
Abstraxx, thanks for the reply. I have read that thread before and I told the people that installed it about it. The guy claims he did it, but the radio reception is not as good as factory. Would it be too much trouble to ask you how I could possibly remove the aftermarket headunit and check the wiring myself?

BumpinAltima, where did you put the infra-red sensor? I bought one of those too, but it works horribly compared to the factor steering wheel controls. I have to push the buttons on the steering wheel much longer, and it's just not as responsive. My LED for the infra-red is right above and to the left of the headunit, on the aftermarket headunit dash thing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can remove your aftermarket radio by poping out the molding cover over your heat/ac knobs. Then there might be one screw holding the factory molding around the radio,if so remove. then the molding/upper dash pops off by care fully pulling it towards you. Then you should be able to see the screws holding the radio bracket in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put the sensor right above the deck, above where the deck sensor is, sounds like we have it in the same place, I have a pioneer P8000. sometimes i have to hold it longer, but you can never get the same response as direct wire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BumpinAltima said:
I put the sensor right above the deck, above where the deck sensor is, sounds like we have it in the same place, I have a pioneer P8000. sometimes i have to hold it longer, but you can never get the same response as direct wire.
I had no problems with my radio reception something is not right. I hate when places don't take ownership when they hook something up wrong, the main reason I learned how to do everything myself.

Also, don't recomend putting your sensor there. The sensor is on the HU and you are pointing the remote/LED (if you will) toward the rear seats. Let me put it like this, when watching TV and using a remote contol to change channels you point the remote control towards the tv(sensor). The way your setup is, it is like you walking up beside the TV and pointing the remote control back toward the couch to change channels. Don't worry man, I did the same thing too but when I got frustrated with the sporatic results I deceided to figure it out and I did. Check out my registry for placement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.