The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got the car mentioned in the title and I'm having some squeaking/squealing issues that my mechanic wasn't very helpful with troubleshooting.

Brief background: this squeaking only started after my mechanic replaced my power steering pump with a refurbished one. A day after getting my car back the noises began.

I took the car back to get it looked at and they said it was due to power steering fluid being spilled on the belt. They told me how to clean it with simple green solution, but after that didn't help much, they replaced the serpentine belt.

Still problematic.

My mechanic then said the squeaking was a result of a bad belt tensioner or harmonic balancer.

I replaced the belt tensioner, but the squeaking continues. I'm not really convinced I should replace the harmonic balancer at this point due to the consistent misinformation from my mechanic.

The squeaking is most prevalent on a cold start and usually lasts about 5-10 minutes or so.

I'm going to try to attach a video...

Any thoughts as to what it could be, or what I should do to troubleshoot properly?

There are no engine codes, FYI.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Was there any noise before the refurb PS pump was put in? Does the noise go away if the belt is removed and the engine briefly started?

Who replaced the belt and did they adjust the new tensioner properly? If the tension is wrong, the belt will slip and squeal like a stuck pig until it stops slipping. The Gen3's have a mechanical manual tensioner so it must be adjusted everytime a belt is changed.

If it isn't belt tension, my money is on the refurb PS pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was there any noise before the refurb PS pump was put in? Does the noise go away if the belt is removed and the engine briefly started? Regardless, I think the answer is somewhat obvious. Oh, and you need a new mechanic.
No, the noise was not there before the power steering pump was replaced. =/

I haven't tried starting it without the belt (didn't know that was safe), and haha, yes, I'm going to find a new mechanic. lol

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
No, the noise was not there before the power steering pump was replaced. =/

I haven't tried starting it without the belt (didn't know that was safe), and haha, yes, I'm going to find a new mechanic. lol

Starting it cold is safe for 30-60s? or so if the engine is stone cold...but the water pump is belt driven on the 2.5...so once it begins to warm up...you need to shutoff or risk overheating and head damage. The 3.5 can run all day long as the waterpump is chain driven internally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old thread, but in the end, the power steering pump was the culprit. Mechanic must have installed a bad one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts