The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2003 altima with a no start condition. Its the 4 cylinder automatic. When you turn the key, the starter won't even function. You just turn the key, and the engine never even tries to start. I talked to a mechanic who is familiar with Nissan in general, and he said its got to be 1 of 3 things. Its either the ignition switch, (that thing behind the actual key cylinder) or a fuse/relay, or lastly, the anti theft system has been engaged.

I bought the car with the engine mostly rebuilt, but I had to put the cams in and set the timing. Among a few other various items like putting the oil pump and oil pan back on, and the exhaust manifold. But really, this was all just mechanical stuff, and to me, it doesn't seem like it should matter. The previous owner, a diesel mechanic who partially rebuilt the engine, has been sort of helping me over the phone. He said that when he parked the car to start the rebuild, the engine would turn over just fine. Car of course didn't run right, but it would turn over fine.

That leads me to believe that its unlikely that it is a problem with the ignition switch. I mean you never know, but that does point to the ignition switch not being the culprit. Also, I took the starter off and had it tested at both autozone, and oreillys, and they both said it was good. So the problem lies in something between the starter, and the key. Something its not letting the starter get the signal, to actually go ahead and perform its function.

I checked all the fuses, but it seems there are 3 empty slots on the driver's side fuse box, under the hood. Unfortunately for me, the label that tells you what each fuse does, has somehow been damaged, due to what looks like too many heat cycles. And I can't tell which fuse goes to what. Does anyone have the fuses and relay diagram for this car?

Lastly, what about the anti theft thing this car has? NVIS or whatever they called it. I tried doing what the manual says to disable it, but I never got any confirmation on anything, and of course the car still won't even try to start. To disable it, you get in the car, then you lock the doors. Then you put the key in the ignition, and turn it 5 times to the on position. Then you wait 5 seconds, and then you turn it 5 times to the on position again. Well I'm not sure if that's the exact procedure, but you get the idea. I followed it straight out of the manual, when I actually attempted it. And still nothing.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Can also be a flat battery? Do your headlights come on at full brightness? Do they dim when you try to start? (that's my way of asking if the starter relay is still functioning). If it isn't, then you need to head to a wreckers to get another as Nissan doesn't just sell relays out of the IPDM...they want to sell you the whole freaking thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I guess I'm not real sure about that. I'm inclined to think the battery is good, because I went ahead and bridged the starter with a screwdriver, when it was still in the car. That old trick. The starter did in fact spin and activate. Only problem is, it didn't actually "kick out". That is, it didn't engage the flywheel. It just spun the starter gear. So you could hear that the starter was working, and spinning like it would when you go to start a car, but the little gear was never forced out, and made to contact the flywheel.

So that's when I took the starter off, and took it to oreillys (and then autozone) and had it tested. They both said that it was good, and that it kicked out for them. Strange huh?

But can anyone post up the fuse box diagrams? As I said the one on the driver's said of the engine has somehow... melted? Blurred? I don't know what has happened to it, but you can't read it. And it would be really helpful if I could find the starter relay to test it, and knew what these 3 missing fuses were.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I found this. I'm assuming that what this is referencing, is simply the ignition switch? Any way to completely disable the immobilizer? How do you tell it that its ok to let the car start working again?

And I found a fuse box diagram for the inside of the car, but I just can't find the ones under the hood.

·
6,365 Posts
If you bridged the starter directly, the motor would just spin if the battery wasn't strong enough to spin it fast enough to kick it out. You also bypassed both the starter relay and the starter solenoid. I'm still thinking the battery is weak or possibly the engine ground (see my .sig below for tests). Can you put both low and high beams on for 5 mins straight without diminishing brightness?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you bridged the starter directly, the motor would just spin if the battery wasn't strong enough to spin it fast enough to kick it out. You also bypassed both the starter relay and the starter solenoid. I'm still thinking the battery is weak or possibly the engine ground (see my .sig below for tests). Can you put both low and high beams on for 5 mins straight without diminishing brightness?
I will go and check that right now. I've been charging the battery all night, so I'll also post up its voltage. The Battery Tender I've got it hooked up to is showing a green light, which means its fully charged. I've also got a good working battery in my Mustang and I'll put that one in there, and try it.

In the meantime, do you know anything about NVIS? And how to turn it off? And would an engine rebuild trip NVIS and activate it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there didn't seem to be much difference in brightness, after 7 minutes. I put them on high beams just like you said. I mean there was a little difference, but barely. Also I checked the voltage before I started the headlight brightness test, and it said that the battery had 13.13v. At the end of the test, with the lights still on, it was down to 12.24v. Then I turned the headlights off, and the voltage jumped up to 12.50v.

So as a comparison, I went out there and tested my mustang battery. It only had 12.71v. That is what starts the car, anytime I start it.

So my guess would be, that the battery isn't the problem here. But that's just my guess. I'll wait to hear what you guys think.

·
6,365 Posts
Ok. Battery founds fine to me. What is the security system light on the dash doing when you turn on the ignition? Off, on, solid, blinking?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok I think I figured out what light you're talking about. Its the little red light right up by the vin number, correct? Its on the top of the dash.

That light just sits there and flashes, when the key is out of the ignition. But when the key is turned to the on position, that light goes off. It doesn't blink, doesn't stay on, doesn't do anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts