The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone

I have a 2003 Altima 2.5 that is a little moody. So the car runs great for a couple of days then it starts going into limp mode. Will not go faster then maybe 10mph and rpm is limited to 2500 or so. I have seen issues where people have the issue but it stays that way from what I understand. I just got the car and it was fine for a few days then while going down the road it started slowing down and the rpms would not go over 2500 or so. I turn the car off, pull out the key for a minute and start it back up and it does just fine. That is the confusing part. It does have the SEL light on and I have done the calibration Accelerator ,throttle and air.

Found a video online to show how to do it without taking it to the Dealer.

It idles fine at 700-750 but when the issue occurs the idle is higher around 1000-1100. I have checked the plug at the throttle body .

I took it to autozone and they ran the scan on it and came back with these codes
P0420
P0507
P1102
P1128

It does have an exhaust leak in the front as well but I do not think that would cause the issue. I had a car before that had drive by wire like this and it had a ground issue at the computer but not sure if this is the case here or not and not sure where the ground would be if t did .

Any help would be great and thanks ahead:crying

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Two problems, not yet sure if they are related. p0118 is just telling you the sensor is detecting that the engine is overheating--this may even engage the engine safe mode, don't know for sure. If you are not losing coolant then something else is at play. Possibly check your radiator fins for clogging/damage.

The other 3 all point to some fuel/air ratio problem. They variously implicate the MAF, intake leaks and throttle body (or some combination). The most common is reference to a dirty throttle body, possibly so dirty it cannot accurately choke off the intake air. Running lean (too much air) could cause excessive heat.

If you are confident that you don't have a head gasket issue (no sludge on oil filer cap, no loss of coolant) then I'd be inclined to clean or replace the throttle body, clean or replace the MAF and replace the engine air filter. While doing so inspect for cracks, loose fittings or other air leak sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, As far as 0118 I don't have that code. The previous owner must have not known how to open the air filter box so it has no clips and is not anchored and plan on fixing that issue (or they may have done it to make it easier to remove the headlight ) and the MAF is a little dirty on the screen part. I will try to clean and then do a relearn on the throttle body and have noticed it appears to be running a little rich (fumes smell a little stronger) any other ideas would be helpful and the car did it again today as I started to take off from a stop it would not go past the 2500 or less rpm mark until I pulled over turned it off then waited a minute and restarted it and it did fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

Just an update. I drove on the interstate today for 2 hours and not a single problem but once I got off the interstate and started stopping and going it started acting up and again, Pull over turnoff the car, wait for 2 minutes or so and started back up and ran fine until the next time of starting and stopping . If I can keep going without releasing the gas pedal repeatedly it does fine it seems. So idle issue or what.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I'm thinking more like sticky throttle plate, replace or clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Great help here and Just a update today I took out the air box, cleaned it and also fixed the latches so it would seal ,Then went to clean the MAF sensor and it was a little dirty and someone had put it in without any screws so it was just sitting in there and the wires on the sensor were more dirty grey and black then silver , so cleaner it with MAF cleaner and then looked at the throttle body, Did not take it off but did clean it a little and looks allot better since when you would stick your finger just behind the throttle plate it was a little thick with buildup. Cleared the codes using the post on this site and the SES went off, Drove the car starting and stopping and fast acceleration and slow acceleration and it did just fine and has not acted up so far. Although the SES did come back on after about 20 miles or so and used the process to read the codes and the only code was P0420 for Cat threshold. Also not such a rich smell anymore but will need to either replace the cat or O2 sensor to fix that issue or maybe because it has a front exhaust leak too and will fix that as well maybe it is a part of the problem with P0420 not sure,

Again thanks and any ideas please feel free to share .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts