The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the ride is very uncomfortable on my brand new 2003 Altima 2.5S automatic with standard 16" wheels. I can feel practically every bump in the road. Most of the time it feels like I'm driving over railroad tracks. There is almost a constant vibration accompanied by slight jolts now and again. I didn't notice this during the test drive, although, I admit I probably didn't test drive as long as I should have or was paying attention to other things. However, I did notice this as soon as I drove my car off the lot. I'm coming off almost 9 years with my '94 Camry which was a much smoother ride.

I've noticed a few people in the forums reporting problems with suspension noises, but is there any possibility my suspension has some other problem that is making it too stiff? Why would anyone want this rough ride? Any advantages?

Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You should have driven it longer. Here in NJ my dealer gave me the keys to a 3.5 and said , Have fun come back whenever. I drove it for 1 hour with the entire family in it. BTW Check the tire pressure. Mine was way off on all tires when i got it. even after the dealer prep!!!!!!!!!!

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
Good thing you didnt get the 3.5SE, thats much stiffer. I drove a 2.5S and thought the ride was excellent. I wish the 3.5 rode that well. Perhaps you are too acustomed to your 94 camry, which probably had older shocks, making it ride softer and floatier. I think you will find the stiffer suspension will give you a much better feel for the road conditions and make turning and handling much better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to hear the Altima has a stiffer SPORT suspension. This is a good thing i think.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
I found no difference between my stock springs and Eibach pro-kit in ride comfort. Handling is a different story

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
yea, ride became hella bumpy for me afterwards... but then again, I lowered my car on my new rims (lo-pro tires) at the same time.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
well I went from lowering springs back to stock springs back to lowering springs....didnt notice much, but the stock ride is just plain shitty, they should have done what htey did on the maxima, offered a "sport suspension" and a "luxury suspension"

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The cars are shipped from Nissan with about 50psi in the tires to help prevent the "flatspotting" that plagued so many of us 02 owners so maybe the dealer had not yet prepped the car you drove. My 02 2.5S rides like a 70's Cadillac...an altogether too cushy ride for my tastes. I'm experiencing the rear strut noise item though and I'm hopeful my car will get the strut replacement TSB done to it, which I hear from other owners here will help stiffen up the ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We also experience a stiff suspension on a 2002 2.5 altima. My girls always complain the stiff suspension going over bumps, railroads and irregular surface on the streets. Just lower a bit of tire presure and see what happens. Oh by the way, the front shocks also makes a "ssshhhus" noise when going over bumps. I wonder what is that.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
abc77 said:
We also experience a stiff suspension on a 2002 2.5 altima. My girls always complain the stiff suspension going over bumps, railroads and irregular surface on the streets. Just lower a bit of tire presure and see what happens. Oh by the way, the front shocks also makes a "ssshhhus" noise when going over bumps. I wonder what is that.
Hm... go to a mall. Wait at a speed bump. Listen to cars going over speed bumps. Repeat. Record the sounds. Hear the same thing? :cool:

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
That sound is just the shocks doing their job, pretty much every modern car is going to make that sound. Unless, you run super-stiff springs and no shocks. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
tdoyle said:
The cars are shipped from Nissan with about 50psi in the tires to help prevent the "flatspotting" that plagued so many of us 02 owners so maybe the dealer had not yet prepped the car you drove.
Try lowering the pressure by 3 psi.

·
Beware The Big Fish
160 Posts
my 02 2.5s rides smooth as hell in fact it rides smoother than any other car i have owned. p.s my dad has a fully loaded 3.5 and the ride is very stiff but handles great..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts