The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum and its great to meet you all.
My maxima's rear main seal is leaking pretty bad (3-4 quarts a week), could be worse im sure but anyways i was seeing if you guys could point me in the direction to a post , video or anything in regards to the transmission removal and seal replacement. I've looked on youtube and haven't had much luck in a very in formative video.
Also what is the best fluid for the auto transmission?
Thank you guys for any info you can provide...
2003 maxima GLS 3.5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
93 views and not a single response
Thanks guys you all suck
This is just like the other nissan forum
You sure as hell aint Jeep guys!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
We’ve all moved on to more reliable cars like Lexus and toyota. We’re fed up with the Ghosn/Renault era turning Nissan into money pits. Sorry.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi guys
My maxima's rear main seal is leaking pretty bad (3-4 quarts a week), could be worse im sure but anyways i was seeing if you guys could point me in the direction to a post , video or anything in regards to the transmission removal and seal replacement. I've looked on youtube and haven't had much luck in a very in formative video.
2003 maxima GLS 3.5
To replace the rear crankshaft oil seal, the A/T must be removed which is a major job which will take at least 6 - 8 hrs. Good ATFs to use are Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Castrol Multi-import ATF, which are both synthetic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To replace the rear crankshaft oil seal, the A/T must be removed which is a major job which will take at least 6 - 8 hrs. Good ATFs to use are Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Castrol Multi-import ATF, which are both synthetic.
Thank you so much rogoman on the fluid
I actually purchased a repair manual

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi guys
2003 maxima GLS 3.5
Its very likely that the rear main seal is not what is leaking, but the upper oil pan gasket, which is just below the rear main seal. This is a rubber gasket which get rock hard with age and start leaking oil like crazy. see ilustration below.
If this is the case, the transmission does not have to be removed.

Service manual here:
Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub

1 - 7 of 7 Posts