The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 nissan altima 3.5L v6. there is a noise coming from the water pump area. it only comes on when i turn the blower knob inside the car to turn the heat or ac on. there is a loud rumbling sound in the engine bay and sounds like the water pump area. when i drive, there is a loud whining noise that goes up and down with my rpm. does it sound like the water pump needs to be replaced since it only makes noises when i turn the ac/heat on? If i turn the blower knob to the off position, there is no noise at all from the water pump and no buzzing/whining while driving. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I'm thinking AC compressor....your water pump runs 100% of the time the engine does. AC only comes on when climate engaged. Could also be the blower motor...but I'm leaning towards AC compressor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking AC compressor....your water pump runs 100% of the time the engine does. AC only comes on when climate engaged. Could also be the blower motor...but I'm leaning towards AC compressor.
Now that i think about it, that might make sense. my a/c doesnt work good at all and barely blows any cold air. the heat works fine tho. how hard is it to replace the a/c compressor? is it just take the old one out and throw the new one in?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
It's a little more complicated than that. You should evacuate the remaining refrigerant...can be under high pressure. You need to find any leaks, buy a new compressor, and possible other parts such as the condensor/drier and expansion valve. YOu need to have any debris from the compressor flushed out. Then you reassemble the whole system, recharge with refrigerant and go from there. Will be north of $500 even if you do it yourself...double that in a garage?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts