The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at http://www.nissanusa.com/ today it seems the 2003 SE-R Spec V and Altima 2.5 have the same engine in it is this true? Why would Nissan offer so much power in a compact vehicle?

If this is the case why does Nissan offer a Altima SE-R Spec V with the new 2004 Maxima engine it I think that would be cool?

Even better do the same for the 2004 Maxima offer a SE-R Spec V which would have the Nissan's 350Z engine or even a G35 Sports Coupe engine, that would kick butt.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I haven't posted in two weeks and I finally found something to reply to.....

no comment.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
umm...newjerseycat, this is old news about the SE-R equalling the 2.5......and as far as stuffing any bigger engine in the sentra, there is barely enough room to hold the 2.5. They offer the SE-R because it appeals to the younger, even tho i'm 18 and i think that car sux compared to my alty, and i think it's cheaper(not sure) but anyway....the altima is more of a family car i'd hate to say, but looks a hell of a lot better than the sentra:D.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Spec V Sentra is Nissan's attempt to grab some of the market share from cars like Civic SI, Neon RT, exc. The basic business logic is that if Nissan doesn't appeal to the 17 to 24 year olds who want a speedy car with a body kit right off of the lot for less than $20,000 they will be leaving money on the table which will go into their competitors pockets. It is unlikely that they will put a 265 hp Maxima engine into an Altima because there isn't a huge market for that car.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
huh...the max engine is the same engine as the 3.5 ALTIMA, 350Z, murano, ETC. and there is a huge market for our car....MORE and More people keep buyin' them...soon they will be everywhere, sadly:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's not what I mean. Of course there is a market for the Max and 350z. I mean there is no market for a $30,000+ Altima with a 265hp engine and all the other extra stuff they would put in a car like that. That is not to say there isn't people who would want to buy one. Just not enough for Nissan to make it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey if you want a 265hp Altima either figure out what Nissan has tweaked on the VQ to get to 265 and do it yourself or buy a '04 Max engine, tranny and exhaust and drop all of that into your Altima!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
they have the same engine!!! And they all have about the same horsepower. Don't pay attention to the dyno's nissan has done. They do power at the crank but guess what....after everything, the power to the wheels is almost EXACTLY the same. And as far as the small differences that would make the max, Z, etc., have more hp at the crank, i'm sure that gettin' an alty w/ that much power at the crank would not put it over the 30k mark. And for those that have paid 29k and 30k, they got bad deals IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are right. IMO anyone who spent $30,000 on an Altima got beat, raped and left on the side of the road by a very happy dealer. Not saying the Altima isn't a good car. I hope to have one soon myself, but not worth $30,000.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
I would not go that far....I love the 3.5 altima. As a matter of fact, the next car I own is gonna either be a G35 (if i decide I can take the discomfort of such a small car), a 3.5 Altima, or an 04-05 Maxima. AND THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME ENGINES!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
umm...newjerseycat, this is old news about the SE-R equalling the 2.5......and as far as stuffing any bigger engine in the sentra, there is barely enough room to hold the 2.5. They offer the SE-R because it appeals to the younger, even tho i'm 18 and i think that car sux compared to my alty, and i think it's cheaper(not sure) but anyway....the altima is more of a family car i'd hate to say, but looks a hell of a lot better than the sentra:D.
I'm 18 too, and I competely agree. When I went shopping for a new car, the SE-R Spec V wasn't even a consideration. I wanted a V6, and I fell in love with the Altima the first time I saw it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
damn you! 18 and you have a V6:angry2: lol, j/m with ya....but really, I WANT ONE!!!:(
It costed me my life savings for a V6....I saved up every penny since as long as I can remember (about $6000) and sold my old Stanza for $4000...put down $8500, and got my notes to $350. I'm just lucky that my parents pay my insurance, which by the way is $349 a month!!!! If they didn't pay that I couldn't afford a new car.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
....(if i decide I can take the discomfort of such a small car)....
Don't do it. You'll be hating that decision about 2 months after you buy the g35 esp. since you drive alot. The only option I can think of is taking the car to Ride-away, handicap mod place. Have them move the seat back. They may not do it if the car has side impact airbags.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey RJL7HEL8

I have the same options on my car except mine is a 03 and Silver :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts