The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres what my system is gonna look like so far (dont have car yet, gettin a 2003 2.5 this summer, but im buildin the system now cause im bored and i want to have it when i get hiome from school=)

HU: Premier 740MP
Sub: JL 10W6
AMP: MTX 311D or JBL BP600.1

Components: BA RC620s
Amp: ???

umm, i havent looked into it much yet (sorry!) but what are the stock speaker locations on the new alty?

6.5 mids in the kicks right? and where are the tweets?

I need to know what they are with AND without the BOSE.

THANKS.

·
BOSRI NAH CHOD!
641 Posts
get the new W6v2 i beleive..i would get focals in the front and diamond 6x9s. or diamonds all around..the tweets are around the panel around the windshield..if u get a component set in the front then i would the tweet on the door.just some similar ideas that i did..check out some pics in my site

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
w6v2 is more than im willing to spend on the sub. and i keep hearing that its not worth the money to put in aftermarket rear speakers.
ill look into focals tho. thnx.

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
who ever said replacing the stock speaker is pointless is stupid.

This is my set-up
Sony Xplod HU (soon to be Alpine CDA-9805)
Pioneer 5x7's (front)
Alpine 6.5 (rear)
Pioneer 720SX (833 watts)
2 Alpine Type S 12's (600 watts ea.)

And my system sounds great I love it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You're better off not running rear speakers and putting the money to some better front components. (and a higher quality two channel amp as opposed to a four channel. **you can run your rear speakers off your H/U if you need them**)

The stock midranges are located in the doors and the tweeters are in the A pillars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i might be goin with the jbl p180.2 for my components, and then ill power my rears with the hu, and then ill try it without the rears on, and ill go with whatever sounds better. or i might just have the altioma come with no factory system at all.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah if I could have started over I would have gotten a stripper altima. Then I could have gotten rims + a better system.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much would it save to get the car withoiut the sysstem?

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
1greek4u said:
You're better off not running rear speakers and putting the money to some better front components. (and a higher quality two channel amp as opposed to a four channel. **you can run your rear speakers off your H/U if you need them**)

The stock midranges are located in the doors and the tweeters are in the A pillars.
You peaked my interest with this one. Why do you recommed leaving the rear deck out?

My old roommate has an 02 max se that he did the same setup. Running a large 4 channel amp with upgraded front speakers and 2 10's in the trunk with a new h/u. He tried to get me to go the same route but I didn't want to mess with the head unit. I personally think my stock setup with a single 12 tapped off the rear speakers on a bridged amp sounds better. He never gave me a decent answer so I figured I'd ask someone who appears to know!

Don't get me wrong, mine has plenty of room for improvement especially for clearer highs and mids but this was just a quick fix for no bass.

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
click my link for pics

of the door/tweets and subs.

rears are just 6x9's, you need to cross em over at the least or disconnect them. if not they are really crappy sounding loud.

I personally am thinking about yanking them and leaving the back deck ported through the hole.

i might try that this weekend if I am still working 12's at work

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I left my rear speakers out for ports and the rear dash piece rattled worse than it already was, and that was when I only had one 12 pushing 600 watts...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so taking out rear speakers using holes as ports good or bad idea? what if rattling areas dynamatted? also, will the boston acoustc rc620's work well in the stock locations?

·
*Really New Member*
1,095 Posts
i changed out all my speakers except my tweeters and the sound is alot better then factory....and the pillar where the tweeters are at, just pops out...i think theres like 3 or 4 snaps holding it...

·
Registered
288 Posts
The reason people suggest leaving the rear speakers out and/or not spending any money for good rear speakers is simple. How often do you go to a concert and listen to it with your back facing the stage? never on purpose, i hope. It's basically the same idea with audio. You want the only sound, or at least the majority of it, to come from in front of you in order to recreate the music as if the performer was standing in front of you.

Some people (i used to be one) say that it sounds better with rear speakers. The reason for this is that first of all you're used to listening to cars with rear speakers. But most of all, it's because you've never had quality front speakers with enough midbass to carry a tune by themselves that are also sufficiently powered. You like having the midbass that the typically larger rear speakers can reproduce better. The only good reason for having rear speakers is to benefit your rear seat passengers if you care about that, but even then they should be nearly silent unless you actually have people back there.

Best thing to do is buy a high quality component set (at least 6.5") that has good midbass and buy an amp to give it the power it needs. Finally, if you want to go all out, sound deadening your door and sealing up all the holes, turning your inner door into a semi-sealed enclosure that will give you punchier midbass on any set of speakers.

hope this helps everyone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah makes sense. so would it degrade the sound stage if i were to power the stock rear speakers with the HU at low volumes?

also, im deciding between the Boston acoustics rc620's, Koda 6.1's and MB quart PSD216's components. any advice?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok add this to the list: Image Dynamics CXS6

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some people might say it hurts the sound stage to have the rear speakers at all...but if they are played very softly I don't think you will have any imaging problems. An easy solution is to just use your fader so you can effectively stop the output of the rear speakers and then if you've got some people in the back just fade the rear speakers back in a little bit.

Of the three sets you listed I'd go with the Kodas hands down, they're not as pretty as the others but they're just a better set of speakers. I don't think i've heard those bostons (at least not knowingly) but I can assure you the kodas are of better quality. Also the Kodas are designed for excellent off-axis response, which means the midbass/midrange will sound great in your stock location so you don't have to worry about custom kick panels to get the best sound out of them.

Another set I like to suggest is the CDT HD series. It's hard to not be biased here because these are the speakers I bought and they're awesome, especially considering the price. I think you can find the best prices for these at www.cbrstereo.com and then you can try to pricematch it at sounddomain for another 5% off that if you want. I paid more than they are charging there but I don't even get mad about it because I feel they are worth at least $100 more than what I paid for them. Anyway, enough preaching stuff that I like because I have it.

The difference really comes down to what kind of sound you prefer. The kodas tweeter provides a more 'in your face' kind of bright and detailed sound while the cdt tweeter gives the set a smoother, more natural sound. Neither sound bad, it's just a matter of preference and I think you'll be thoroughly impressed by either set.

Oh yeah, that ID set is really nice too...I'd probably rank it below the kodas and the cdts just by my personal preference, but I don't think you could go wrong with them. It's all about the personal preference when you're comparing these speakers that are all on about the same level quality-wise. Although I do believe that the CDTs can be had cheaper than the adire's and the id's if cost is any factor.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great, thanks for info invis...gonna do some more lookin then ill post an update.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, yeah, i think im gonna go with the kodas powered with a jbl p180.2 (90W @ 4ohms) kodas power handeling is 100W @ 4 so the jbl should be perfec,t right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts