The Nissan Club banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
scorpio02150
1,459 Posts
I had purchased a like new oem one from ebay and it died 2 months after install.
Seller gave me a hard time by not honoring his 6 month warranty posted. Contacted ebay/paypal, then the seller gave in. Longer story short, I would of had to fork more money (shipping for both alternators), run the risk of getting another "lemon" and going through more aggravation.

So, after looking around I went with a "tough one" alternator. I was skeptical at first since I've never heard of that brand before, but I went ahead and bought it, along with replacement belts.

About 2 years later the alternator is still solid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thankful for this forum, not happy with Photobucket. Never going to use them to host web pics, ever again.

Anyways, the reman'd alternator from AutoZone failed within a couple months. I then purchased an ebay OEM new-in-box alternator for my 2005 SE, and that was the ticket.

Removing the radiator & fans as one unit makes this job very "do-able", making even the alternator pivot bolt many times more accessible. After doing this job twice within a few months, I'm almost getting to be a pro at it.

OF

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,021 Posts
I'm thankful for this forum, not happy with Photobucket. Never going to use them to host web pics, ever again.

Anyways, the reman'd alternator from AutoZone failed within a couple months. I then purchased an ebay OEM new-in-box alternator for my 2005 SE, and that was the ticket.

Removing the radiator & fans as one unit makes this job very "do-able", making even the alternator pivot bolt many times more accessible. After doing this job twice within a few months, I'm almost getting to be a pro at it.

OF
Here's hoping you never have to do this again!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE: 2005 Altima 3.5 SE, Denso alternator quit after 3 years of service. It was a not a remanufactured unit. What makes these things fail like this? It seems the alternator lives in a very hot part of the engine bay, and the alternator failures always happened in the summer months, as follows:

1.) Alternator failed June 2017, soon after purchasing this used Altima.
2.) Remanufactured Autozone alternator failed end of August / beginning of September 2017.
3.) Denso alternator installed in September 2017 failed in early July 2020...not quite 3 years.

These OEM Denso alternators are 100-amp units, more than enough for a stock sedan. Wondering if I should buy a Quality Power alternator or DC Power Engineering alternator ... they make high output versions for high wattage users, like people with amazing automotive sound systems.

Just got another brand new Denso alternator, and will check the negative cable (from what I understand, it connects to grounding points at both the unibody and engine).

As well, I probably will build my own ground cables (6 gauge) like this guy did: (if link does not work,
).

I may run another power cable from the alternator to the battery.

OF

·
7,021 Posts
My personal theory with this Gen3 is that the negative battery cable starts to fail between the chassis and the tranmission (opposite end of cable that attaches to battery negative). They are exposed and not sealed against the elements and basically just rot out over time. I think the regulator packs in the OEM unit (which should be Hitachi, not Denso) are susceptible to failure with poor grounds and the voltage spikes they can cause. I wouldn't spend the time and money to replace an alternator without also replacing the -ve battery cable in its entirety too...and clean up the bolt points on the chassis and transmission where the cable attaches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
..... I wouldn't spend the time and money to replace an alternator without also replacing the -ve battery cable in its entirety too...and clean up the bolt points on the chassis and transmission where the cable attaches.
That will be my next purchase.

OF

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I found after selling countless alts in all warranties and after rebuilding my own that the regulators are a big part of how long the alts last. Regardless of if the part is remanned or brand new and top of the line most of them use crap low dog regulators instead of spending more to put the best ones possible in them. When I use the heavy duty regulators my failures simply disappeared and my rebuilds last for many years. Cheap out one time and you get a fail in as short as 2 days. Most of the ebay regulators claiming to be heavy duty aren't either.

That ground is a killer too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found after selling countless alts in all warranties and after rebuilding my own that the regulators are a big part of how long the alts last....When I use the heavy duty regulators my failures simply disappeared and my rebuilds last for many years....
The alternator I am replacing is a Denso 210-3168. It was not a reman, and I am figuring that after only a little less than three years, the slip rings, brushes and bearings should be good since it was a brand new install. Where can I find parts for it? I'm going to try my hand at replacing (if necessary, after testing) the rectifier with its assembly of press-fit diodes, and replace that regulator assembly. Seems a waste to throw away so much when so little is actually malfunctioning.

Going to order an OEM negative battery cable. Also going to order about 7-8 feet of 6 gauge marine tinned cable to make about four different grounds, and maybe build an extra 6 gauge fused power cable to the battery just to make sure the "electrical highway" is always open to and from the alternator.

Love this 2005 Altima 3.5 SE, it's my first Nissan. For a used vehicle with over 100,000 miles, it is in great shape and runs in stellar fashion. The 4-valve Nissan V6 engine is an amazing design, with such a flexible powerband. The chassis is superb, comfortable with great handling. This is easily the equal of 3-series BMW's that I've driven. It's a keeper, and I want to solve this alternator issue for keeps.

OF

·
7,021 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
good luck finding OEM...HTH

This fits the Hitachi .... but that and Denso have the same "mounting feet" and backplate form factor. It just might work.

OF

21 - 30 of 30 Posts