The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car wouldnt start dealer said my timing was off 15 degrees. $2500 repair declined I'm doing it.

I pull the motor etc, main tensionor and the secondary tensionor are shot. Chain did jump about 2 teeth. Its been suggested to replace the intake cam gears. $375 each, Yikes.

Do the cam gears fail a lot, $750 extra on a $1500 car may not be worth it. How often do these gears fail? Should I replace them or can I test?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced the timing chain and all the tensionors. I'm 100% certain I did everything correct car still will not start? What is wrong with the design of these car. They leave you stranded and then are impossible to trouble shoot.

I have no codes, I changed the crank sensor. What else will cause a no start with zero codes? Cam sensors again there 2 years old?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
@M-train Calling the Wiz of VQ....

M-train had some good suggestions when debugging his rebuild (300HP NA build thread):

Do you have:
a) Compression in all cylinders
b) Fire (spark)
c) Fuel (pressure, injector pulses, wet plugs etc.)

If the engine goes around and you have fire and you have fuel, but it still doesn't run...check to make sure you didn't trigger the Nissan antitheft system.

Even if you messed up on the chain alignment...you should at least get a backfire or something.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd be willing to lay money the timing chain is off.

Did you follow the chain set up as outlined in the service manual, oval timing marks and circle timing marks depending on which bank you are working on.

The car is not impossible to troubleshoot , you just gotta know what ur doing and be smarter than the car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
@M-train Calling the Wiz of VQ....

Even if you messed up on the chain alignment...you should at least get a backfire or something.
Not necessarily , If the cam and crank timing is completely jacked up the ECM will not permit starting.

The ECM needs to see signals from the crank and cam sensors "come together" or "line up" for lack of a better term during cranking . If the signals are so far apart the ECM can't calculate the correct position to give the "go" signal to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no spark not even one, the injectors also do not fire.

I put the engine at TDC. Pulled the the cam gears and chain off of one side. The chain has a single marked link and a duel to match each cam gear. Repeated for other side. Main chain has 3 marks 1 for the crank and one for each cam mark. All marks where at TDC. Engine was rotated and the marks go off from the chain marks not being evenly separated. After several rotation the marks realigned and all 3 gears where at TDC.

2003 nissan altima: the diagram..timing marks..timing chains..3.5L just like this exept the cam sproket marks are on the back of the gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts