The Nissan Club banner

2005 Maxima SE - Timing Chain Issues

31K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  William Edwards 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced problems with timing chains in the '05 Maxima SE's? I love this car, but after just three years and 90,000 miles, I'm looking at having to have major work done with timing chain(s).

Thanks!

HS:shift:

#2 ·
are u sure its a timing chain issue??

#3 ·
My mechanic told me that there's a device that keeps the timing chain tight...maybe it's the device that has malfunctioned.? I think it's a "tension" thing? He's telling me there are three timing chains and they'd have to take the entire engine apart (but my mechanic isn't trying to get the work by telling me this...he doesn't want to do the job).

The car makes a whining noise...if that helps.

Sorry to be so vague. I just found out today and I'm going to check with some local dealers tomorrow...I'm trying to get my arms around this in order to make a decision.

Thanks!

#4 ·
hmm u know the alternator sometime makes a whinning noise when its broken or going out or could b the belt pulleys. how bad is the car running is it running pretty rough.

#5 ·
It's definitely the device that regulates the tension on the three timing chains. After talking with two dealers, I've discovered this is not uncommon and there is a Service Bulletin from Nissan regarding it. Too bad they won't take any responsibility to fix this problem...Parts plus 10 hours of labor ADDS UP!!! $$$$ I won't buy a Nissan again, that's for sure!

#6 ·
well it alot of miles on that car parts wear out plus u never know how bad the driver before u abused it unless u had it since it was new. i mean shit happens good luck with it post with results

#7 ·
How is your fuel economy? I have an 04 with 72,000 miles and I get poor fuel mileage. I only ask because over the last year my car has had a slight whining noise coming from under the hood too. The car is running fine, but trying to get any info I can to try and figure out my fuel issue. In personally would not go to the dealer for a job like that because they are going to rape you for all they can. If you have a local mechanic that will do it although it may be a P.I.T.A job, I am sure you will come out cheaper and faster than going to the dealer. I hope everything works out with the car. Please post results.

#8 ·
that whinning is probably a belt or the pulleys

#9 ·
I have the same issue, there's a service Bulletin you can search for....my Dealer said $1500 !, my local guy doesn't want to get involved.

I'm at 96,000 miles, and been taking it to the Nissan Delaer since day one......and I find this out on the internet, and now it's too late for warranty.

This whining has been going on for over a year....I specifically remember driving with my friend after a pool party, and he said "what's that noise".

I heard of a guy at 110,000 miles...and I think he said he's gonna let it ride. I just don't know what to do.

#10 ·
Timing chain whine

The whining noise you are referring to is the secondary timing chain tensioner metal plungers riding metal to metal on the secondary timing chains. The original plunger has a lathe cut metal seal ring that binds and holds too much pressure on the plastic chain guide on top of the plunger, and eventually the chain saws through the plastic and into the metal plunger.
The updated parts in the TSB do not have the seal ring on the plunger.
It's under warranty for 5 years or 60K miles, unless you purchased an extended service contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.