The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I have searched the forum but can't find an answer for this problem. I replaced my son's alternator and battery in the car. Ran fine for a couple of days then he drove it, parked for an hour and it wouldn't start. Motor turns over fine, fuel pump is priming and running, replaced crank and cam sensors, still nothing. Pulled coil packs individually and found no spark at plugs when cranking. Today I got a multimeter and found 12 amps at battery, 12 at alternator, and 12.83 the red wire on each coil pack. .07 at return signal. The ground tested fine at each coil pack as well. Can't figure this one out, and I am at my limit of knowledge and powers of google.

Thanks!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Put the old cam sensor back in, jumper the battery ground to the engine metalwork and retry.

I'm assuming the reason you replaced the alternator and battery was that the alternator was kaput, which wound up killing the battery. The most common cause of all that is a bad engine chassis ground (see my .sig and dozen other such stories in these forums).

Be aware there are 2 types of cam position sensors for the 02-06 Gen3's and the rectangular plastic sensor is widely regarded as inferior, with the redesigned cylindrical metal cap version (Hitachi OEM) being the preferred one for consistent performance. Other people have reported issues with new aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I threw the old ones away! I got the lifetime warranty sensors from Advance Auto, they are the metal capped version. I can swap them, or trade them in. Is there a specific sensor make or model that works better? I also need to test the connections at the pigtails, and go through the relays, fuses and connections in the PDC. Thanks!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
If you have the Hitachi sensor (metal can) then start with ensuring you have a good ground to the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts