The Nissan Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2006 2.5S 5-speed that I've recently pulled out of mothballs after about a 3 year garaging. (Both my wife and I work from home and it only recently became more useful to have two operational cars. Since hers is newer and nicer, we left it in service.) I've replaced the headlights (the originals were super foggy) and added LED low and high beam bulbs. While I had the bumper cover off I noticed that I'm pre-wired for fog lights, so I grabbed some and plugged them in. I know that normally they're controlled from a signal stalk that I don't have, and can't reasonably get from a pick-n-pull because my state is currently on lockdown thanks to COVID-19.
I would prefer to not change the stalk, as I like having a dash-mounted switch for fog lights. I also noticed that on the driver's side there was an extra plug taped to the plug for the bulb. Is this extra plug meant to be a connection point for the stock switch that is in the stalk (if not, what's it for?)? If so, is there a way that I can just plug into that and run a dash mounted switch to one of the knockout slots instead of buying a new stalk for like 3x what I paid for the lights themselves? If not, is there a good way to tie the pre-wired harnesses to either the low beams or a switch so I don't have to run a ton of superfluous wiring thru a car that's already wired for exactly what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
252 Posts
So the extra plug is for the ambient temp sensor IIRC. If you have the base cluster and manual climate control it will not be used.
The easiest thing is to just swap the stalk. Check Rockauto or Ebay for a stalk. They are cheap and very common.
The circuit is controlled through the bcm, and the bcm controls when they come on.
You could get creative and wire up your own switch but you may have to run a circuit that does not use the bcm.
You may be able to pull the pinouts that run to the stalk, tap into those, and run them to your own switch.
Or you may be able to go to the bcm and do the same.
Honestly being it was easy as plug and play I never tried anything else.
Both my 03 and 05 were prewired and I just bought the stalk and lamps.
Welcome to NissanClub

1 - 2 of 2 Posts