The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of replacing plugs + ignition coils, and discovered what appears to be a common issue with this engine (and probably many other similar engines) -- bad spark plug seals in the valve cover, and LOTS of oil collected in the plug tubes/wells.

Of course, the only way to repair this is to replace the valve cover, because the gaskets are embedded in the cover. While I'm waiting for my valve cover to get delivered today, I thought I would try to remove as much of the oil as possible before I remove the plugs. I've had some success using shop paper towels to soak up the liquid oil, then using brake parts cleaner / shop towels, then compressed air with a rag to catch it... to get rid of most of the remaining oil. The brake parts cleaner seems to be doing a good job of mixing with the oil and evaporating it a bit faster than soaking it up with the shop towel.

I want to be sure to remove as much oil as possible before I remove the spark plugs... obviously don't want oil and foreign debris spilling down into the cylinder.

Anyone have additional suggestions or better method to ensure the spark plug tubes are clean and oil-free before I remove the plugs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just saw a great tip on Youtube -- dude had a little oil left over in the cylinder after pulling the plug. He left the plug out of the cylinder, CRANKED THE ENGINE OVER with a shop towel over the empty spark plug hole, blowing out the excess oil. His engine only had a single cylinder with oil, mine had THREE cylinders.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Why not just wick it up with shop towels? (pardon my ignorance as I've not had the pleasure of staring down a QR spark tube yet)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Cranking the engine could bite you on the -ss if you have like rocks or gravel in that oil and let it run into the engine when plug yanks. I ALWAYS use high pressure air to blast the hole out before removing a plug, too much chance of tearing engine up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Use a air brake bleeder it should suck up most of the oil and then just brake clean and clean rest up with rags or paper towels. Blowing air with a rag over the plug hole would work too. Paper towels and a long screw driver. Just throwing out ideas get creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts