The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Nissan Altima which i Beileve to have a blown Headgasket. I have just found out where it is leaking oil from. If someone can look at this picture and let me know if it is truly a headgasket or something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You can buy some of that oil leak detector at any local parts store.

Sometimes oil leaks are hard to track down [think leaky roof], but with the leak detector you should be able to see exactly where the oil is coming from. The oil could be coming from the middle of the valve cover gasket on the back of the engine where you would never see it.

The leak detector uses a "black light" to see the oil leak which will glow. They also sell that at the parts store, but you can buy a black light blub at Walmart, and just install it into a shop light so you can get behind the engine if you have to.

Be sure to use some engine degreaser before you do this as it will make it easier to spot the leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it is just seeping oil externally, it is not as critical. Are you experiencing any overheating issues? Are you losing any coolant? You can get the coolant tested to check for internal exhaust gas leaks.

·
Altimer
824 Posts
I don't think we have enough information here. Are you seeing oil or anti freeze? What makes you think you have a blown head gasket? Are their symptoms besides seeing some seepage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts