The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THIS GUY
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've has this problem for a few months now and have been trying to figure it out with no results.
My battery appears to have a draw on it that kills it over night (about 8 hours).

I've found that if I disconnect the battery overnight it will be fine, but its getting old disconnecting and reconnecting and having to reset my radio, etc.

I've read that to check for a parasitic draw one should connect an ammeter between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery cable and you should be able to read the amps that are being drawn while the car is off.

Well I did this and found a .2 amp draw (however the alarm went off being fed the small voltage that the multimeter feeds it and i shut it off by clicking the unlock button on the keys). Next to isolate the draw was to pull fuses until the reading went away, well I pulled every fuse and the draw never ceased.

I'd like to note that I used to have the BT footwell LEDs installed but disconnected them since they could have been the culprit, I also have an aftermarket amp and subs installed. The subs were installed long after the problem began.

Im not sure where to go from here guys. I pulled the fuses in the engine bay and the ones under the steering wheel. Should I just take it to be diagnosed?

Thanks for any help.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I went through a very similar experience, but I had a 2A parasitic draw that turned out to be the alternator...see the Alternator link in my .sig below.

Couple of things...when measuring current, the meter does not supply any power, the effect should be no different that simply reconnecting the neg cable after a battery change....but your alarm is going off?

To debug my problem, I wound up breaking the 3 main paths right at the +ve battery terminal...I did this by disconnecting the alternator 'B' feed, and pulling the main fusible links supplying the IPDM etc. I think used the ammeter to connect each one in turn until I found the culprit...in my case it turned out to be the alternator's regulator (pulling 2000mA extra). The normal draw for this car is approx 70mA, so you have approx 120mA extra which is almost exactly 10W...which could be a bulb...please check your trunk bulb for 'warmth' or drop the seat at night to ensure it has gone off (this is a somewhat common issue on this platform).

If the alternator is pulling the phantom power, you need to replace it...or have it rebuilt with a new regulator pack.

·
6,365 Posts
Start at the top of the diagram on PG-5 and work your way down until you find the culprit branch.

·
THIS GUY
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the help man, we got snow in Jersey right now so im gonna hold off a few days but I'll update you asap.
I really hope I can figure this out its getting old. I'm sure you know the feeling!

I just realized I mistook testing amps for testing continuity lol. Thats where i got the idea that the multimeter supplies the power lol. As you can tell i dont use my free harbor freight meter often!

·
Sonoma 2.5SL ~ My Garage
89 Posts
If you have issues finding the problem look up "Eric the car guy - parasitic draw" on youtube.com. He has a great step by step of exactly how to do this with your ohmmeter and it's quite a process. You always need to follow the correct procedure when doing electrical troubleshooting or you'll be chasing ghosts.

·
THIS GUY
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have issues finding the problem look up "Eric the car guy - parasitic draw" on youtube.com. He has a great step by step of exactly how to do this with your ohmmeter and it's quite a process. You always need to follow the correct procedure when doing electrical troubleshooting or you'll be chasing ghosts.
Yeah I found his video a little while back, I was never able to figure out why my alarm goes off when I touch the ammeter to the cable though.

When I pulled the fuses, as stated above, I never pulled any relays. Im gonna go back and see if any of those help narrow the draw down.

·
THIS GUY
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Start at the top of the diagram on PG-5 and work your way down until you find the culprit branch.
I'm a little confused on what the fusible links are? I see the 225a on the positive cable, but I don't see the rest of them. Are they the ie: 3 boxed green fuses labeled 40a 40a 40a, another is like 50a 30a 40a?

Other than that I understand pg 5 in the link you sent me and depending on which link I have to move further down the pages to see what is connected to each corresponding fusible link.

·
6,365 Posts
In the diagram on PG-5 as linked above, first thing the battery connects to is a box, with 5 internal 'fuses'...these are actually fusible links, the three primaries are 225A, 80A and 100A respectively. They are located in the positive battery cable terminal assembly, under the red cover if you still have one, in a black plastic box with a clear lid (so you can see if the links have fried or not).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts