The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Altima 2.5S 6MT with 130k miles on the clock. It recently developed a loan moaning sound above 10 mph. The sound is steady and does not change relative to speed or RPM. I can drop it in to neutral and the sound remains as long as I'm going over ~10 mph.

I had the left front wheel bearing replaced at 40k, and the tires were replaced August 2015. I'm thinking it's either another bad bearing or CV issue. I have not yet had a chance to do a visual inspection to see if there are any tears or leaks in that area.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Thanks!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
wheel or CV carrier bearing would be my first guess. Doesn't sound like a CV joint issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wheel or CV carrier bearing would be my first guess. Doesn't sound like a CV joint issue.
I'm familiar with the wheel bearing replacement procedure, but new to CV work. Is the CV carrier bearing something that can be replaced at home? Does it involve getting a whole new axle or can just the bearing be replaced?

Thanks for the reply

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I believe a new passenger side axle is required if the carrier bearing is shot...but I would check the FSM/dealer/tranny shop to be sure.

Replacement can be done at home, but separating the transmission side of the axle has caused grief for many. There are youtube videos out there for Gen4's...so watch a few and figure out if you're up for the challenge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts