The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still love my new used Altima, but I've found yet another minor (but super annoying) problem. I was trying to adjust the driver's seat and found that the switch to lean the upper part of the seat backwards is no longer working. This wouldn't be such a big problem if I hadn't accidentally pushed it too far forward, but now the seat is leaning too far forward for the person I share the car with, so this is something that I need to fix ASAP. When I bought the car for some reason there was no plastic cover on the switch, I'm assuming it fell off when the previous owner was using it. Not sure if they'd messed it up somehow but it was working up until today. When I push the switch forward it works, it just won't go backwards anymore. Would this be an easy enough fix to do myself or do I have to take it to Nissan? And what's a reasonable price to pay for the fix? Alternatively, is there a way to somehow adjust the seat manually? Thanks in advance for any advice. Hopefully some others have experienced the same problem without having to pay a huge amount to fix it.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I suspect it's going to be super annoying to fix. I'm pretty sure the seat will have to come out to gain access to the switch/wiring...that's probably good for 1-2 shop hours.

That said, have a look under the seat and see if you have access to the power seat connector. If you can detach it from from the seat, then in theory you could source a new, used, wrecked part and just plug it in to set the seat back to where you want it. Make seat adjusting a two person job...but it does make it possible. Should be less than $50 to get this switch from a recycler--fwiw I think it's the same switch for fabric/leather.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I agree that it sounds annoying to fix.

I do not know the specific way that the seat works, but if it is just a bad switch, I personally (and I'm not recommending you do it) would;

Check the online manuals to see what color wires I'm looking for.
Disconnect the battery (kidding; I'd just make sure the car was off and the fob far away (I live dangerously))
Cut the upper-seat wires about an inch from the switch (or disconnect at the switch if I were able to).
Strip said wires and somehow keep the tips away from each other (or fabricate jumpers from spare wire if I had access to the connector)
Turn on the car and start touching wires to get the seat to move.

I assume, but have not researched;
Hot goes from one wire to the switch
The switch connects the hot to either; 1) forward or 2) backward.
It could also be that hot is already going to forward or backward and the switch connects ground, but that strikes me as dangerous.

Once I had the seat back in the correct position, I'd tape up the ends of the wires so they could not be adjusted again. Then I'd order the new/used part.

If there is something wrong with the motor itself, this will not work.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I notice you live in the South. I'd think it's warm enough for you to just take the seat out (or at least unbolt it to get underneath) and really mess with the connectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to get someone to help me with the wiring stuff. I've had a phobia ever since my sister blew a fuse in my old minivan by accidentally pulling out a vanity mirror and the automatic door was stuck open the whole ride home. Also, could it be that there's something wrong with just the one switch? I almost can't justify buying the whole part when only one side of one switch won't work. I don't think it could be the motor since all the other power seat adjustments work fine.

·
6,365 Posts
Here's what you're looking to swap out (with credit to Tasca)

So $170 new, or find one used (Altima, Maxima's and Quest all good donors), part number is provided in one of the images (870662Y000).

Good news is that it comes with a good long pigtail, so you know that connector will be easy to get to...with a little staring time at the FSM I"m sure you could figure out which two contacts to short to make the seat move in the desired way...

·
6,365 Posts
Wiring diagram on Page 10.

4 motors in the seat, connect battery power in either polarity to move motor. 6 wires makes no sense...especially since wiring diagram shows both power and ground going to the switch module. I suppose, in theory you could have power, motor 1, motor 2, ...motor 4, and ground to make up the 6 wires. One side of all four motors could be connected together, and then the switches either apply + to unique motor wire and ground to common wire for all, or ground to unique wire and + to common.

Best I think to beep it out with a multimeter, or just get a replacement switch unit.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I'll have to get someone to help me with the wiring stuff. I've had a phobia ever since my sister blew a fuse in my old minivan by accidentally pulling out a vanity mirror and the automatic door was stuck open the whole ride home. Also, could it be that there's something wrong with just the one switch? I almost can't justify buying the whole part when only one side of one switch won't work. I don't think it could be the motor since all the other power seat adjustments work fine.
Getting over your phobia will save a lot of cash.

It's also possible that the switch itself is fine, but some of the connections are corroded. Cleaning things up might fix it all.

"Only of side of the switch" not working means it's a bad switch. Replace it all or be prepared to do this again in the future. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts