The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon forums!

I'm in a bit of a pit here, I've been trying to fix an idle issue I've had on my altima for quite a while now. The problem generally occurs when its warmer/hot outside.

Issues:
  • The vehicle starts to idle stutter when CVT downshifts.
  • When the vehicle is in park, or stationary at a red light, the idle stutter begins.
  • When the vehicle downshifts, there is a pull or hesitation when downshifting. There will be times when it downshifts smooth without hesitation.
The crazy part about all of this, is here is what I've done so far:

1. Replaced Alternator
  2. Replaced Battery
  3. Replaced MAF Sensor
  4. Cleaned throttle body thoroughly
  5. Replaced all spark plugs
  6. Replaced fuel pump
  7. Replaced Air Filter
  8. I've ran several courses with fuel injector cleaner within 2-3 months. I've used the professional graded fuel injector cleaners as well
  9. Alternator Pigtail Replacement
Well, it's a good amount of money into the car, but I still have no fixed the issue. I'm hoping the community will guide me into the right directions/

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remove/inspect/test the EGR valve and look for signs of small vacuum leaks........EGR valve related issues is what I initially suspect when encountering engine stuttering problems during idle. Valve stuck partially open during idle will allow exhaust gas to enter the engine resulting in idle stumbling. Problem clears up when engine rpm increases..,...typically.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
The OP didn't specify the year of his Altima. Model years 2002 - present don't use an EGR system; the ECU controls the opening of the exhaust valves to obtain the same effect as an EGR system. Also the OP mentions CVT downshifts which don't exist; as the CVT changes the ratio of the two cones which simulates the effect of gearing up or down. CVT's were first used in Altimas 2007 - present. The older Altimas used conventional A/T's.

The OP's problem might be a major vacuum leak in the intake system or the idle speed is way too low.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OP didn't specify the year of his Altima. Model years 2002 - present don't use an EGR system; the ECU controls the opening of the exhaust valves to obtain the same effect as an EGR system. Also the OP mentions CVT downshifts which don't exist; as the CVT changes the ratio of the two cones which simulates the effect of gearing up or down. CVT's were first used in Altimas 2007 - present. The older Altimas used conventional A/T's.

The OP's problem might be a major vacuum leak in the intake system or the idle speed is way too low.
Ill triple check today for vacuum leaks. When the temperature outside is warmer/hot, the vehicle will lose performance and idle stutter

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good afternoon forums!

I'm in a bit of a pit here, I've been trying to fix an idle issue I've had on my altima for quite a while now. The problem generally occurs when its warmer/hot outside.

Issues:
  • The vehicle starts to idle stutter when CVT downshifts.
  • When the vehicle is in park, or stationary at a red light, the idle stutter begins.
  • When the vehicle downshifts, there is a pull or hesitation when downshifting. There will be times when it downshifts smooth without hesitation.
The crazy part about all of this, is here is what I've done so far:

1. Replaced Alternator
  2. Replaced Battery
  3. Replaced MAF Sensor
  4. Cleaned throttle body thoroughly
  5. Replaced all spark plugs
  6. Replaced fuel pump
  7. Replaced Air Filter
  8. I've ran several courses with fuel injector cleaner within 2-3 months. I've used the professional graded fuel injector cleaners as well
  9. Alternator Pigtail Replacement
Well, it's a good amount of money into the car, but I still have no fixed the issue. I'm hoping the community will guide me into the right directions/

Thank you!

OP posting in 2007-2012 Altima forums!!

Mr.Greener, sounds alot like an engine mount. Check out the the 2 piece mount on the top right hand side, or passenger side by the power steering fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP posting in 2007-2012 Altima forums!!

Mr.Greener, sounds alot like an engine mount. Check out the the 2 piece mount on the top right hand side, or passenger side by the power steering fluid reservoir.
Today I'm going to get the vacuum hoses checked and the intake manifold gasket. The passenger engine mount was indeed replaced last year, but I'll give the other one a gander.

I'm going to have it taken to Nissan next Tuesday so hopefully they can give me a consensus on this issue. Over the phone, the dude tried telling me it was transmission failure, knowing good and well the vehicle was running perfect not that long ago. Also the transmission fluids have been changed through it's lifetime. The current fluid in it now is almost brand new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts