The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Last week my wife's 2008 Altima 3.5 would not start. It would crank over but not fire up.

Had it towed to my mechanic and he hooked his wonderful little computer up, did some tests, bypassed some things and got it fired up.

It ran for a bit then they turned it off. Waited a few mins(maybe hours) and started it up again (no problems/codes).

He asked if I could leave the car overnight so he could do a cold start test. So I did. It was hooked up to all the computer things and started. No problem. Pump line pressure and voltages were/are good.

Could this be water in the gas? Just a glitch? I'm aware of failing fuel pumps but usually when a fuel pump won't pump, it won't pump. It doesn't magically start working again. That's not to say that it won't fail in the future.

Just curious if anyone else had this and the problem was something other than the obvious (fuel pump).

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Sounds like the crank/cam position sensor gremlins.... You are sure there are no codes? Any other input/info?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the crank/cam position sensor gremlins.... You are sure there are no codes? Any other input/info?
Nope, My mechanic has a pretty boss setup for checking all that stuff. No codes, nothing. Just wouldn't start. He narrowed it down to fuel delivery but somehow got the car started. Has run like a top since. We changed gas stations and he added a water conditioner to the tank.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Be a nice cheap fix...dumping some ethanol in :) It is that time of year when water in the tank is problematic. Let us know if it comes back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The popular consensus is that if it's anything, it's the fuel pump. If the no start condition comes back then we know what the problem is....hopefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts