The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 has gradually developed a low-pitched growl/rumble coming from the front of the engine (seems to be coming from a pulley, but hard to tell). The sound does NOT happen at idle, but only after the engine is in gear, and primarily only at low rpm's. I've considered the tensioner pulley, but it seems that if that were the cause, it'd be making noise all the time, and not only under load. However, it does seem to be getting worse, so I want to take care of it as soon as possible.

P.S.: In doing a search here of related posts, I don't tend to think it's the transmission. There are no other indications of any transmission problems.

Ideas?

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
If pulleys are suspect, consider taking the serpentine belt off so you can check each pulley individually, spinning them and trying to move them side to side.

Fairly simple procedure to remove the belt, there are several good videos on Youtube. Use a wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt, turning CLOCKWISE (only), which will release tension on the belt and allow it to be slipped off. There is a hole in the tensioner into which you can insert an Allen key or nail to hold the tensioner away from the belt to free up your wrench hand.

For a 2009 depending on your mileage you may have already had the belt replaced. If not, you could use the opportunity of replacing the belt and inspect all the pulleys at the same time.

You can also run the engine with the belt off if you want, to see if the noise is absent but if it wasn't that obvious before you might not be able to hear any difference. Obviously don't run it for too long, alternator and water pump will not be turning, battery will be powering all the ignition without being recharged. It should not be driven in this condition, as there will be no power steering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts