The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 with Headlight issues, I do have aftermarket hid kit in it but seems not to be the problem since I replaced the whole thing thinking it might of been the ballast.

Anyways, It started with some flickering of my driverside low beam headlight, and after that, after I would turn the headlights on the driverside would not come on, I would turn on/off and they would Eventually come on, it only did it about 3 times than the low beam would not come on. I replaced the bulb, ballast and all wiring to do with the hid kit and still nothing, fuses are good, just don't know where to look from there. Hi beams come on when I switch it, passenger both lo/hi work. Can someone please help, what else I could look for

Thank you

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Did you install a relay harness? If not, that's probably the issue, the wiring is not sized to power HID ballasts and will eventually fail. If you connect the ballast direct to battery power does it work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it does no have one, when i bought the car it came with the hid lights, ill have to check on it and see if it will power up directly with the battery

·
6,365 Posts
No it does no have one, when i bought the car it came with the hid lights, ill have to check on it and see if it will power up directly with the battery
If it does power up, you can run a HID relay harness off the working low beam signal.

Cheap

Sexy

FWIW I went for the latter. I also built a voltage sensitive delay unit to ensure my HIDs weren't trying to ignite when the starter is cranking....there's a whole thread on that.

·
6,365 Posts
You know, it occurs to me that you might just have a bad ground somewhere. When you do the straight battery power test, make sure you do a straight ground test to go with it (like a jumper cable clipped around the ballast housing to a nice hunk of body metal). It could just be that whatever the ballast is seeing as 'ground' isn't anymore....due to corrosion, arcing, overheating, whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you i got it figured out, one of the wires was causing a bad ground, i had to trace the wire down. Thank you for your help

·
6,365 Posts
Thank you i got it figured out, one of the wires was causing a bad ground, i had to trace the wire down. Thank you for your help
That's great news...glad you figured it out. Thanks for posting the conclusion too...helps others who come later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts