The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10' Altima 2.5S with 130K miles. Im adding about 4 quarts of oil every 900 miles. There are no visible leaks or puddles, just seems to be burning through the oil super fast. My exhaust tips are practically burnt and have eroded, so possible the oil being sent to the exhaust? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Your motor is as they say in Tennessee, "Ruint". 1 quart of oil burned every 225 miles means a complete overhaul/rebuild of the motor is needed to correct the problem.

Unfortunately, the cost to completely overhaul/rebuild is much more expensive that purchasing a used motor and having it installed.

As I see it, you have two options.

1. Find a used motor and have it installed.

2. Sell the vehicle "as is" to a mosquito abatement company. The smoke should drive the mosquitoes away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your motor is as they say in Tennessee, "Ruint". 1 quart of oil burned every 225 miles means a complete overhaul/rebuild of the motor is needed to correct the problem.

Unfortunately, the cost to completely overhaul/rebuild is much more expensive that purchasing a used motor and having it installed.

As I see it, you have two options.

1. Find a used motor and have it installed.

2. Sell the vehicle "as is" to a mosquito abatement company. The smoke should drive the mosquitoes away.
Thank you for the info. Any chance you know how my motor could have got to that point? Also how much longer do you think I have with the car running in this state? I dont notice any jerks or any shakes. Everything internally is fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 10' Altima 2.5S with 130K miles. Im adding about 4 quarts of oil every 900 miles. There are no visible leaks or puddles, just seems to be burning through the oil super fast. My exhaust tips are practically burnt and have eroded, so possible the oil being sent to the exhaust? Any insight would be appreciated.
What could possibly have happened is a history of constant misfires that eventually poisoned the CAT. A common problem with those engines was that the CAT breaks down and bits of catalyst substrate get sucked back into the combustion chamber and score the cylinder walls. The QR25DE uses the variable valve timing for EGR rather than a conventional EGR valve. It opens the exhaust valve slightly during the intake stroke to accomplish this. The catalytic converter, which is part of the exhaust manifold, is so close to the head that the bits of debris get sucked in past the exhaust valve with the exhaust gases. Nissan claimed the reason for this was the ECM programming. A recall for 02-04 QR25DE equipped Sentras and Altimas was initiated years ago to correct this problem. An updated ECM was provided, updated manifold heat shields and several other things and in some cases, replacement of the exhaust manifold assy. and engine short block. At this point, Nissan probably won't do much for you if this is the issue, especially if the vehicle has already had the campaign performed (we still hear about oil burning QR25DE's on vehicle's that have had the campaign performed). You can test to see if this is the issue by performing a compression test to the engine and comparing it to the service manual specs. If it is under spec, likely you will find burnt oil on the inlet side of the catalyst media when you remove the manifold (you might need a telescoping probe to view it) unless it has been recently replaced. Head gasket failures are also no uncommon. A cylinder leakdown test would be helpful. Obviously, if it's losing oil and not leaking it, then it must be burning it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What could possibly have happened is a history of constant misfires that eventually poisoned the CAT. A common problem with those engines was that the CAT breaks down and bits of catalyst substrate get sucked back into the combustion chamber and score the cylinder walls. The QR25DE uses the variable valve timing for EGR rather than a conventional EGR valve. It opens the exhaust valve slightly during the intake stroke to accomplish this. The catalytic converter, which is part of the exhaust manifold, is so close to the head that the bits of debris get sucked in past the exhaust valve with the exhaust gases. Nissan claimed the reason for this was the ECM programming. A recall for 02-04 QR25DE equipped Sentras and Altimas was initiated years ago to correct this problem. An updated ECM was provided, updated manifold heat shields and several other things and in some cases, replacement of the exhaust manifold assy. and engine short block. At this point, Nissan probably won't do much for you if this is the issue, especially if the vehicle has already had the campaign performed (we still hear about oil burning QR25DE's on vehicle's that have had the campaign performed). You can test to see if this is the issue by performing a compression test to the engine and comparing it to the service manual specs. If it is under spec, likely you will find burnt oil on the inlet side of the catalyst media when you remove the manifold (you might need a telescoping probe to view it) unless it has been recently replaced. Head gasket failures are also no uncommon. A cylinder leakdown test would be helpful. Obviously, if it's losing oil and not leaking it, then it must be burning it.
that can result in a substantial amount of oil being burned?
You might want to look at getting a new car .... hey, I'm looking at the Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you my have a bad motor gasket on top of the engein take out out a spark plug and see if its black.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts