The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start my car I get this LOUD rattling that last about 5-7 seconds. Usually happens about 12 to of 20 times I start the car. And once in awhile when I hit the gas its alittle louder than normal.

I went to my dealer and they told me it was a loose heat shield. That dealership was bought out and under new management. The new dealership told me this week it was a frayed/damaged flex pipe. Showed me it was damaged and frayed and little loose while it was up on the lift. Then showed me the heat shield was perfectly fine.

WTF When they told me it was the heat shield the service manager said it would be 89.99 to fix.
Now they tell me its the flex pipe........they said $870.00 to fix it. I asked them how long the ob was they said a hour or two. 870.00 for a 2 hour job?????

So I did so googling and apparently replacing the flex pipe is simple as hell and just requires welding at the shop and the part is cheap. Did my dealership really try to get over on me?

Anyhow I want to buy the part from Rock Auto but dont know which one to get. Can you look at this attachment and tell me which to order for my 2010 2.5?

Roughly how much should this job cost total with the part. I have seen anyhow from only 100.00 to up to MAX 250.00

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
If it is just the flex section that is bad, go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a new one. It'll be the most cost effective route.

Unless you by the y-pipe yourself and and install it yourself.

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
I had a similar issue in that the protective braiding over the flex pipe had failed. In my case the ring at one end of the braiding had rusted through and shortly after the braiding disintegrated as all the individual strands fell off. The remnants of the ring was still on the pipe and was rattling a bit. I brought it to my selling dealership and got the whole front exhaust pipe replaced under warranty in 2015. It was under the Emissions OBD Components warranty. Some components under this section have 3 years and others have 8 years/130k km (in this case the "front exhaust tube with catalytic converter permanently attached), so I just squeaked by. I am assuming you are in the US, I am in Canada so YMMV but check the warranty booklet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem.... looking at almost 1k at the dealership.... second hand shops wanted about $500 ..... went on Amazon bought parts for $140 and paid a mom and pop shop to $80 to assemble....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts