The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, a high pitch humming noise coming from my 2010 Altima Sedan after turning it off. I disconnected the battery and started checking each fuse one by one and temporarily connecting battery to see if noise returned. None of the fuses underneath the hood did the trick. I was part way through fuse underneath the dash when I found a fuse that removed the noise. The fuse was a 10A labeled "Elec Parts".

I found a POWER SUPPLY, GROUND & CIRCUIT ELEMENTS Guide for the 2010 online.
The fuse is Number 6 per the guide. See attached "Fuse Diagram" with the fuse circled red.
The block diagram for the Fuse 6 is shown in the attached "Block Diagram."

After removing the fuse, the car runs and every electrical equipment I could think of works. Additionally, I rode the car around the neighborhood and highway with no apparent issues with the fuse removed.
From the block diagram, the fuse appears to run multiple devices, but everything seems to work fine.

Does anyone know the purpose of this fuse?
Does anyone see any issues with continuing to drive the car with the fuse removed?
Anyone have an idea of the actually equipment that would be generating the high pitch noise or tips to help find it?

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,675 Posts
Curious. If you leave the fuse in and shut everything off. Does the noise eventually shut off after say 30s or 5min? Does the car throw any codes with the fuse removed?

I know mine will make a high pitched whine if the ignition is on but the engine isn't running...actually my other car does the same thing...that I consider normal.

I know our cars like to leave the lights on for a short period after shutoff. If one of those relays was failing, you might get a noise so long as it's energized by the BCM/IPDM. If the noise continues beyond 5min...then it's a problem.

·
dat man in a black sedan
126 Posts
Curious. If you leave the fuse in and shut everything off. Does the noise eventually shut off after say 30s or 5min? Does the car throw any codes with the fuse removed?

I know mine will make a high pitched whine if the ignition is on but the engine isn't running...actually my other car does the same thing...that I consider normal.

I know our cars like to leave the lights on for a short period after shutoff. If one of those relays was failing, you might get a noise so long as it's energized by the BCM/IPDM. If the noise continues beyond 5min...then it's a problem.
i also notice some pump/fan sounds for about 10 seconds after turning the car off. ive always chalked it up to the car just doing shutdown diagnostics and so forth. If it goes on for several minutes after shutting the car off, i 100% agree that there is an issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Update: I drove without the fuse in to work. I had to do a longer trip (1 hour away) with work and decided to plugged the fuse back in and the noise was present. While the car was parked, I removed the fuse so the high pitch noise wouldn't persist. On the return trip, I plugged the fuse back in. I can't remember now when the noise went away, but when I got home and turned off the car, I noticed the noise had gone away. It still has not come back.

At time I had the issue, the noise would persist for awhile, but I am not sure if would eventually stop 5 minutes after turning off the car.

If the noise comes back, I will see how long it lasts.

·
dat man in a black sedan
126 Posts
Update: I drove without the fuse in to work. I had to do a longer trip (1 hour away) with work and decided to plugged the fuse back in and the noise was present. While the car was parked, I removed the fuse so the high pitch noise wouldn't persist. On the return trip, I plugged the fuse back in. I can't remember now when the noise went away, but when I got home and turned off the car, I noticed the noise had gone away. It still has not come back.

At time I had the issue, the noise would persist for awhile, but I am not sure if would eventually stop 5 minutes after turning off the car.

If the noise comes back, I will see how long it lasts.
A high pitched whine is usually a failing capacitor. I'd put a fire extinguisher in the car. At least in the trunk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts