The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car will run and drive but alternator will stop charging and car will run on battery until it dies. If you have a volt meter you can watch the car kick voltage on and off to the alternator. I’m stumped nothing has been changed with the wiring I’ve owned the car since new. I’ve replaced two alternators before realizing this wasn’t the problem.

·
Vendor
127 Posts
Car will run and drive but alternator will stop charging and car will run on battery until it dies. If you have a volt meter you can watch the car kick voltage on and off to the alternator. I’m stumped nothing has been changed with the wiring I’ve owned the car since new. I’ve replaced two alternators before realizing this wasn’t the problem.
Hello,

What are your maximum and minimum charging system voltage readings? The "power generation variable voltage control" system on your car can vary output from 11.7 - 15.3V. This is because the ECM monitors the battery current to determine how much charging system output to request. It then sends that information to the IPDM E/R, which converts the data into a PWM signal that it sends to the regulator inside of the alternator. The regulator then controls the generated voltage.

However, according to the repair information I have, if the ECM or IPDM aren't doing their job, the system should switch to a default state where the regulator essentially takes over voltage control. So, I would think your issue would point back to a problem with the alternator or its wiring to the battery. What types of alternators did you install?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts