The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow owners,

I got a great deal on a 2012 3.5SR.
I am very impressed so far with this car. It's pretty fast.
Bad on gas around the city but pretty good on highway.

I want to do the following upgrades:

1. Racingline cat back pipe
2. Racingline rear sway bar
3. headlights - are these for HIDs or regular?

Please post some links to this model that I might find helpful.
I would like to change those items listed above.
What HID kits do you suggest?
Do I just put in LED lights into the fog or is that HID kit install?

Any info on this car would be much appreciated.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Coupe or Sedan? MT or CVT? It matters for the pipes and headlights.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
Sure, I'll comment. It has the worst transmission I have ever encountered. Ruins the car.....!

·
6,365 Posts
Catback will make more noise, HP gains are questionable as the 4th gen exhaust is pretty good.
Sway bar does stiffen the rear up nicely
It is easier and better to replace your fog halogen bulbs with LEDs, than to put a full HID kit in
You may have stock HIDs on that car for headlights, but I doubt they are projectors...so be careful with bulb types ie D2R not D2S

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Catback will make more noise, HP gains are questionable as the 4th gen exhaust is pretty good.
Sway bar does stiffen the rear up nicely
It is easier and better to replace your fog halogen bulbs with LEDs, than to put a full HID kit in
You may have stock HIDs on that car for headlights, but I doubt they are projectors...so be careful with bulb types ie D2R not D2S
Thanks for the info.

How do I know if the headlights are HIDs? They do not have projectors in them.

I will change the fogs to led projector bulbs.
I will start with the sway bar.
I do like the current sound on startup. A touch rumblier would be nice but I do not want a noisy car driving around and when on hwys.

·
6,365 Posts
Have a look on the outside, front, lower edge of the clear lense around your headlights. I will say on it which bulb type it wants....D2R you have a HID reflector housing, H9/H11 or whatever and you have halogen. You can also look at the plug type of the bulb...D2 bulbs are coaxial (circles in circles) vs the side by side pin used by the halogens.

·
6,365 Posts
Where do you source your LED replacement bulbs, there seems to be a lot of junk out there, thanks.
Yes there is a lot of junk out there! I had two requirements...no fans and a reputable chip manufacturer (ie CREE,ETI) . I have posted links to the LED thread, which linked the units I used...vendor no longer has them, but they still seem available http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2013-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/463306-fog-light-lumen.html

2015 4th Gen ETI LED Headlight 60W 8000LM Kit H11 H9 H8 Bulbs X2 Hi or Low Beam | eBay

Don't be afraid to put a little silicone dielectric grease on the plug adapter pigtails where they meet the LED unit...just to help waterproof them a bit more.

My units survived our freezing salt winter and are still going strong. I believe @BPuff57 also still has his.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response, I'd like to do something with the fogs specifically, the headlights are fine for me, but the fogs seems to do barely nothing, rather disappointing after spending almost $300 on OEM fogs for my 2010.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Have a look on the outside, front, lower edge of the clear lense around your headlights. I will say on it which bulb type it wants....D2R you have a HID reflector housing, H9/H11 or whatever and you have halogen. You can also look at the plug type of the bulb...D2 bulbs are coaxial (circles in circles) vs the side by side pin used by the halogens.
damn! it says H9.

So, can I use those LED bulbs you posted?
My question is what bulb can I use for a brighter (prefer whiter) light.
More lumens is important to me.

·
6,365 Posts
They will fit, ie screw in...but you'll probably lose the ability to use any dust/water boots on the back--if so equipped. Depending where you are, that could be a bad idea. If you have direct access to the bulb back and you have clearance for the extra depth needed for the LED power module/cooling fins then yes, they'll fit and give you a whiter light. Because halo's use reflectors...you'll want to make sure the bulk of the LED emissions are at the same focal point as the standard H9 halo bulb. Otherwise all those lumens will be bouncing arounding going everywhere but where they are useful.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Sure, I'll comment. It has the worst transmission I have ever encountered. Ruins the car.....!
Am I the only one who finds little to no value in this comment? Seriously. If you're not going to add value, please reconsider your post. I hate the CVT just as much as anyone else, but this if off-topic and irrelevant to the OP's post.

Yes there is a lot of junk out there! I had two requirements...no fans and a reputable chip manufacturer (ie CREE,ETI) . I have posted links to the LED thread, which linked the units I used...vendor no longer has them, but they still seem available http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2013-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/463306-fog-light-lumen.html

2015 4th Gen ETI LED Headlight 60W 8000LM Kit H11 H9 H8 Bulbs X2 Hi or Low Beam | eBay

Don't be afraid to put a little silicone dielectric grease on the plug adapter pigtails where they meet the LED unit...just to help waterproof them a bit more.

My units survived our freezing salt winter and are still going strong. I believe @BPuff57 also still has his.
EDIT: The link Doug has above is very similar to the set I have in my SE-R fog light housing. They're decent for the price.

There is a LOT of garbage LED options out there. The active cooled fan units aren't bad - I have a set for my high beams, but you'll want to ensure those are installed somewhere they won't see water or snow/ice.

I bought sets that were about $60/pair off fleabay, and they've held up great - converted my fog lights and my high beams. Keep in mind that my low beams have a bi-xenon projector retrofit, so they mostly take care of the nighttime forward lighting duties. The fogs have some hotspots due to the difference in light source location on the LED fixture compared to a Halogen bulb. There is also some glare to oncoming vehicles, but it's way better than an HID kit, and the fogs are instant-on instead of the warmup period that HID's have. My high beams have ridiculously focused light output compared to the halogen beam, but I have the headlight assemblies aimed so the high beams highlight the left/right lines on the road. It helps to see the lines on the road when the rain is coming down at night. I don't use them much because they're 6,000K color temperature, which is a little too harsh on the eyes for me. I may swap them back to a set of high quality HIR1/9011's in the future and sell the LED's. Still debating.

damn! it says H9.

So, can I use those LED bulbs you posted?
My question is what bulb can I use for a brighter (prefer whiter) light.
More lumens is important to me.
More lumens isn't the gospel when it comes to lighting. More lumens + poor light distribution = hot spots --> this will wreck your vision ability because some spots are brighter than others and your eyes have to adjust constantly between bright/dark. You're better off to have decent lumens + excellent light distribution --> you'll see more at night and your irises won't need to constrict/dilate so much. That's why I went with a good projector retrofit for my primary forward lighting and I'm trying out the other options for fun.

They will fit, ie screw in...but you'll probably lose the ability to use any dust/water boots on the back--if so equipped. Depending where you are, that could be a bad idea. If you have direct access to the bulb back and you have clearance for the extra depth needed for the LED power module/cooling fins then yes, they'll fit and give you a whiter light. Because halo's use reflectors...you'll want to make sure the bulk of the LED emissions are at the same focal point as the standard H9 halo bulb. Otherwise all those lumens will be bouncing arounding going everywhere but where they are useful.
The dust boots are critical to ensure that your headlights don't fog up. Don't ask how I know. Oh, and headlight fogging in the winter is vicious. And it kills halos. Again, don't ask how I know. I just know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Am I the only one who finds little to no value in this comment? Seriously. If you're not going to add value, please reconsider your post. I hate the CVT just as much as anyone else, but this if off-topic and irrelevant to the OP's post.

EDIT: The link Doug has above is very similar to the set I have in my SE-R fog light housing. They're decent for the price.

There is a LOT of garbage LED options out there. The active cooled fan units aren't bad - I have a set for my high beams, but you'll want to ensure those are installed somewhere they won't see water or snow/ice.

I bought sets that were about $60/pair off fleabay, and they've held up great - converted my fog lights and my high beams. Keep in mind that my low beams have a bi-xenon projector retrofit, so they mostly take care of the nighttime forward lighting duties. The fogs have some hotspots due to the difference in light source location on the LED fixture compared to a Halogen bulb. There is also some glare to oncoming vehicles, but it's way better than an HID kit, and the fogs are instant-on instead of the warmup period that HID's have. My high beams have ridiculously focused light output compared to the halogen beam, but I have the headlight assemblies aimed so the high beams highlight the left/right lines on the road. It helps to see the lines on the road when the rain is coming down at night. I don't use them much because they're 6,000K color temperature, which is a little too harsh on the eyes for me. I may swap them back to a set of high quality HIR1/9011's in the future and sell the LED's. Still debating.

More lumens isn't the gospel when it comes to lighting. More lumens + poor light distribution = hot spots --> this will wreck your vision ability because some spots are brighter than others and your eyes have to adjust constantly between bright/dark. You're better off to have decent lumens + excellent light distribution --> you'll see more at night and your irises won't need to constrict/dilate so much. That's why I went with a good projector retrofit for my primary forward lighting and I'm trying out the other options for fun.

The dust boots are critical to ensure that your headlights don't fog up. Don't ask how I know. Oh, and headlight fogging in the winter is vicious. And it kills halos. Again, don't ask how I know. I just know.

Good luck!
Ok, now you guys are losing me.
I have reflector headlights.
What bulb should I buy for plug and play to give me a brighter light?
What bulbs to buy to put in fog lights?
I do drive where it rains and snows so we will need to ensure the dust boot fits.

Someone had posted in another thread that I can't find using I think a PIAA or Sylvania H9 bulb that offered the highest lumens and clear white. It almost looked like HID or Xenon.

Thx

·
6,365 Posts
You can put those LED units I linked to into fogs...no issue.

Your headlight bulbs are a different story, stock LED are unlikely to fit in the space given, and allowing moisture in and around the bulb will fog your headlight lenses. You can use Silverstars or similar...but you pay $50 for a bulb that lasts 12-18months in my experience...and it always goes out at -20'C in 12" of snow.

I can't recommend a HID kit...in case I ever have to drive towards you on the road at night.

You can buy the HID headlight assemblies for your variant and then figure out how to wire them up (that's the approach I took). Used or aftermarket are available. It won't be cheap though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts