The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 2012 2.5s altima has been dropping in rpms from a complete stop. I will start to go and then when it will drop my rpms from 2-3k all the way down to 1k and it feels like it looses all power and then it jumps back up to where it was before. Any suggestions on what it might be?

·
Remi 12 - 2.5SL
140 Posts
I've had a similar issue for many years with my 2012 2.5SL. I initially had the dealer look at it, but because it doesn't happen "on demand", they could not duplicate it. At the beginning, it would be a 100 RPM drop. Now, it will drop as much as 8 to 900 RPM. Also for the first several years it would happen only after a left or right turn and started accelerating.In the past six months or so, it has started to happen without the turn. Another notable item is that it usually only does it once or twice until the engine is fully warmed up. I don't mean according to the gauge but when the whole engine is warmed up. After that it stops happening.

I had a first thought it might be some debris in the gas tank, but if that was the case, the rev's would not have gone back up as the suction would have kept the blockage in place. This also seem to happen only with light or moderate acceleration. If I really goose it when I'm expecting to happen, it doesn't.k

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,710 Posts
That's the nature of a CVT starting to fail....nothing, nothing, random somethings, pfffft.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,710 Posts
check, your CVT may still be under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
On a standard ATX, when you slow down the trans simply downshifts instantly to another clutch pack at the difference in speed when you slow down. CVT has to re-align the chain by quickly re-adjusting the pulleys and often it is not done by the time the car has gone from say 50 mph all the way down to dead stopped. Even worse if you panic stop. Whether from wear or other issue they may still be adjusting at the takeoff from stopped and why you get a period of less than perfect power flow. That slipping/adjusting can make for other issues too like car suddenly jerking to try to take off until the chain then unlocks to then slip like it should have to begin with.

All that wonkiness is a CVT thing and it can present in a lot of different ways, most drivers are aware of nothing other than they don't like it. The pulley thing means they use oil pumps that run up to 800 psi, unlike oldschool ATX which never needed over 250. That means the oil pumps are loaded much harder than 'normal' and even a slight amount of wear can result in a big pressure drop and then the oddball action shows up like pulleys slow to adjust.

And yes, many have had issues at that low a mileage number. It's a Nissan quality thing brought on by our guy Carlos Ghosn, cheap crap cars for the teeming masses of the world and I'll happily keep the extra millions made having wrecked the once fine Nissan name for my own benefit. Anybody with a Nissan CVT knows (or will at some point in the future) why the Japanese finally were moved to do something about him. It's 'normal' for an American OEM like Ford to put out garbage and then lie about it for years (DCT); it is NOT for the Japanese, they loathe actions like that. Anybody who owned a pre-year 2000 or so Nissan and then bought one after 2000ish and under the new Renault management well knows how the car quality ran off a cliff on a lot of things. The main push to CVT was as a sales gimmick and they require a lot less parts than standard ATX to make them much cheaper to make (more Ghosn bonus!) but when they break you have no backup as the CVT drive is the only way the car will move. Why the cars have to tow home much more than they used to. They of course don't tell you that when you are buying them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts