The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2012 Altima. A few days ago my car would start to turn over with the starter clicking but would not start. I can jump it off and it will start. I had Auto Zone check the battery and they said the voltage was low. They checked the Alternator and said it was fine. They suggested the Starter could be bad. I removed and had the Starter checked and it was good. I had the battery charged and my car started the first time I tried but now it's back to not starting. Thoughts on what could be causing the battery to not turn the car over?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
What, you don't think a battery ever dies? You are describing the classic symptoms they have shown doing that for 75+ years.

Autozone cracking me up again...........they are so incompetent. They didn't tell you battery was bad or good, only that it was low. But if alternator was working fine how did it get low? Here's a hint......you LOADTEST to tell the customer battery is good or bad or shut up, AND, you NEVER check an alternator with a low battery, the battery will induce false readings from the alternator. They also can test the starter on car to tell you if it is bad without your pulling it off but they have to be smart enough. Out of luck there.

That work is second grade simple yet just try to find somebody who can do it right. I should know, I fired enough people over it.

Rant over.

OP your battery is likely dead, a charge will bring a dead one back for a little bit then it dies again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What, you don't think a battery ever dies? You are describing the classic symptoms they have shown doing that for 75+ years.

Autozone cracking me up again...........they are so incompetent. They didn't tell you battery was bad or good, only that it was low. But if alternator was working fine how did it get low? Here's a hint......you LOADTEST to tell the customer battery is good or bad or shut up, AND, you NEVER check an alternator with a low battery, the battery will induce false readings from the alternator. They also can test the starter on car to tell you if it is bad without your pulling it off but they have to be smart enough. Out of luck there.

That work is second grade simple yet just try to find somebody who can do it right. I should know, I fired enough

That work is second grade simple yet just try to find somebody who can do it right. I should know, I fired enough people over it.

Rant over.

OP your battery is likely dead, a charge will bring a dead one back for a little bit then it dies again.
We all have those moments we have to get stuff off our chest. I do it at work daily. Lol thanks for the feedback. Going to hit my friends shop up this week and get a real mechanic to look at it for me.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Yeah, but when those moments become every day and all day long?

You are mellow and most would have taken my post as a personal insult. Your reward.........charge the battery up and put a voltmeter on it to read volts. A good battery will slightly overcharge to read somewhat over 12.8 volts and let it sit and watch the volts drop off. A good battery will drop to somewhere from 12.3-12-8 and then stop dropping slowly. The tenths kill you there, any dropping to 12.2 and lower volts says bad battery. I will charge one up, measure it and come back and check in 8 hours or overnight, that always tells the tale.

Looking at one now myself, charged to 13 volts dropped to 12.5 in 10 minutes and kept going. Down to 11.7 volts in two hours, it's gone dead, will be 10 overnight. You MUST have over 12.2 volts stabilized or problems usually lie there. Got that from years of checking thousands in cars. Why you can jump or charge it and immediately it starts but two hours later it won't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts