The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to top off power steering fluid on my 2012 Altima. it's at the min line, I want to fill it to max. anyway, the manual says to use genuine Nissan PSF or equivalent, but there's no asterisk* saying what equivalent is. anyone know if I can just top it off with some power steering fluid from Walmart ? or should I go to the Nissan dealer and probably spend more on their genuine Nissan PSF? does anyone know what is equivalent to this stuff? prestone?

·
'12 370Z NISMO | '16 Q50
312 Posts
I need to top off power steering fluid on my 2012 Altima. it's at the min line, I want to fill it to max. anyway, the manual says to use genuine Nissan PSF or equivalent, but there's no asterisk* saying what equivalent is. anyone know if I can just top it off with some power steering fluid from Walmart ? or should I go to the Nissan dealer and probably spend more on their genuine Nissan PSF? does anyone know what is equivalent to this stuff? prestone?
If I remember correctly Nissan usually uses Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF) for the Power Steering Fluid. I don't recall whether it should be ATF3 or ATF4. It might say one of those in the manual?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
called Nissan asking what equivalent would be and they said regular power steering fluid and the stuff they use is red . I then asked if that is automatic transmission fluid and they laughed and said heck now . I don't know what to get

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
In your user manual, Page 419

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so in case anyone else is wondering . they equivalent to Nissans genuine power steering fluid for the 2012 Altima is dexron VI ATF

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
so in case anyone else is wondering . they equivalent to Nissans genuine power steering fluid for the 2012 Altima is XXXXXXXX
Doh, we actually try to encourage people to read their user manuals around here :grin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doh, we actually try to encourage people to read their user manuals around here :grin
I should've known that page 8–14 wasn't all there is to the power steering information I didn't even realize there was the fuel/lubrication recommendation page in the back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts