The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2012 Nissan Altima, and I just recently replace the brake master cylinder and bleed the entire system of air, and when I started driving everything was going good, but the further I went along the more my brakes started to lock up, eventually I had gotten to the point where the car was unable to move because the brakes were holding it in place. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? Prior to driving I had also removed and reinstalled my brake pedal switch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why did you need to replace the master cylinder? That's a bit unusual for a car less than 10 years old. My guess is that the "new" master cylinder is faulty as it must be able to release pressure when you take your foot off the brake pedal. Seems as though fluid from the calipers cannot flow back into it and the reservoir correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've had this issue with all four of my brakes locking up before the incident that I explained above, and after some research I thought that it was due to the master cylinder, so I decided to replace it, but clearly it wasn't the issue since my brakes all locked up again after that test drive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Inspect the caliper slider pins on all four wheels. They may be rusted up.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
IIRC there is a setting to adjust the brake pushrod depth into cylinder. If it goes too deep the compensation port then closes off and the M/C then cannot drop pressure back from the caliper and brakes stay on to heat up and expand to get worse until car won't move.

In short, the M/C piston is not coming all the way back off 100%, the pedal holds it in slightly too far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts