The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dudes im new to the fourm just wanting to get an opinion from you guys. I got my 2012 nissan sentra (automatic) 2.0 at around 95k miles with no service history. My manual says that my car needs it every 30k.My question is since I have no idea when the last fluid swap was done would it be advisable to do it? I checked the quality of the fluid still looks redish in color i don't have any slips on the cvt. The only problem that really errks me and the reason i want to change the TF is the poor acceleration. I've done a full tune up in hopes that it would be the solution to the acceleration problem but not really. So official question i don't know the service of the vehicle should i go ahead and change the transmission fluid? Or would doing so mess up my tranmission?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello dudes im new to the fourm just wanting to get an opinion from you guys. I got my 2012 nissan sentra (automatic) 2.0 at around 95k miles with no service history. My manual says that my car needs it every 30k.My question is since I have no idea when the last fluid swap was done would it be advisable to do it? I checked the quality of the fluid still looks redish in color i don't have any slips on the cvt. The only problem that really errks me and the reason i want to change the TF is the poor acceleration. I've done a full tune up in hopes that it would be the solution to the acceleration problem but not really. So official question i don't know the service of the vehicle should i go ahead and change the transmission fluid? Or would doing so mess up my tranmission?
I looked the maintenance cycle of your car in the FSM (factory service manual) and it stated in schedule-1 (light use) to just inspect the fluid. Schedule-2 (heavy/severe use) to replace the fluid every 60,000 MI. IMO, the CVT fluid should be replaced every 60,000 MI even for light use. The color of new Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid is a light blue with a slight greenish tint. The fluid being red doesn't sound right. Maybe the previous owner put in a NON-OEM fluid which might cause a problem resulting in poor acceleration. If the fluid has a burnt smell, then there may be internal damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked the maintenance cycle of your car in the FSM (factory service manual) and it stated in schedule-1 (light use) to just inspect the fluid. Schedule-2 (heavy/severe use) to replace the fluid every 60,000 MI. IMO, the CVT fluid should be replaced every 60,000 MI even for light use. The color of new Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid is a light blue with a slight greenish tint. The fluid being red doesn't sound right. Maybe the previous owner put in a NON-OEM fluid which might cause a problem resulting in poor acceleration. If the fluid has a burnt smell, then there may be internal damage.
Hey man so it slipped my mind that im color blind. I had my wife verify the color and its a light green. Thank you for that information It was extremely helpful. I smelled it also and it didn't smell burnt at all. So I am going to go ahead and change it not flush it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the issues Nissan has had with their CVT's I'd change it too. I plan to change it and the filter every 30K miles in mine. No guarantee that will prevent problems but, I don't see how it can hurt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the issues Nissan has had with their CVT's I'd change it too. I plan to change it and the filter every 30K miles in mine. No guarantee that will prevent problems but, I don't see how it can hurt.
I was just more concerned about the lack of fluid maintenance on my transmission fluid. I didnt want any metal shavings or particles from the clutch packs to plug up any orifices causing a failure due to pressure or some other CVT craziness. I dont have any slips or grinds, the fluid has more of a greenish color to it than blue. Might be because it need to be changed. No burning smell. I agree with you I think im just going to do it along with the filter.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The fluid will get darker with use as if adding dark gray or black content to it. FYI.

Any red colored fluid goes orange then brown from the same thing. Ends up gray or black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts