The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past couple of weeks there has been a noticeable decrease in gas mileage on my 2013 2.5 SV with 67k miles. I decided to change air filter, clean maf sensor and change spark plugs. When I removed the middle right plug, the boot and top of the plug were covered in oil. I went ahead and changed out the plugs anyways. When I started it up a lot of white smoke came out of the exhaust for about a minute but it runs just fine.

Is this likely a leaking spark plug tube seal? If so, just looking at the valve cover, it appears part of the engine mount is bolted to the top of the valve cover on the left hand side. It looks like it is much more involved to remove the valve cover than previous generation altimas. Has anyone removed theirs yet? If anyone could give me instructions to remove this valve cover it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Change valve cover , it s where your leak comes from .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haven't gotten too far on mileage yet (15k), but I advise anyone who's willing to learn how to take the ignition coils out to view the spark plugs, do it right before 60k miles so if there's leaking, your warranty will cover it. As for how to do it, the FSM probably mentions it (search for it...it's been posted on this site before).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would this repair be covered under powertrain warranty? Nissan extended my powertrain warranty to 100k miles when my tranny failed at 50k miles.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would try .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked warranty booklet. Nissan lists rocket cover under powertrain warranty. Valve cover and rocker cover are one in the same, correct?

·
Registered
52 Posts
would this repair be covered under powertrain warranty? Nissan extended my powertrain warranty to 100k miles when my tranny failed at 50k miles.
I believe it more than likely would be covered since it's part of the actual engine (e.g. something like an alternator that's an accessory bolted onto the engine is only covered until the 36k miles). Call your dealer and ask beforehand over the phone. If for some reason they won't cover it, call a different dealer. Nice how they extended your powertrain from 60 to 100k...did you have to ask/push for this or did they offer it bc of the bad tranny?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Since they changed to plastic valve covers the seals for the spark plug tubes are built in to plastic valve cover. And they aren't cheap they are about $200-300. I would try and get it under warranty since its part of the engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts