The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forums. I've been trying to do a lot of my own research to see if I can get to the bottom of the issue before I spend a lot of money to bring it in.

I'm REALLY sorry for the long wall of text. I'm struggling to figure this problem out and just want to get as much info out in 1 post so that more people can possibly help without having to ask these questions.

My 2013 Altima has about 115k miles on it. I just had a tune-up and all the things done to it that would be suggested around this period. My spark plugs are suggested for replacement soon so that will probably be on one of the next two paychecks coming up. My issue started about a week and a half ago randomly (before i even brought it in for all the scheduled maintenance). My car would start up perfectly fine in the morning when I leave to go to work. I'd get to work around 8am and wouldnt leave again until lunch at 1130-12. When I did get back into my car to leave, the car would crank and would take anywhere between 3-5 seconds to fully fire up. After the car actually started, I had no issues whatsoever... No error codes, no sluggishness, no shutting down. Once this issue popped up, I decided to go in for the grand schedule maintenance and had them fully check over the car so that we could just replace whatever was causing the issue. The list of items I had done are as follows:

Complete Vehicle Inspection
Belts - R&R Alternator Drive Belt
Tune-up - Tune Electronic Ignition (Minor)
Coolant Fluid Exchange w/ Armor Recyl Antifreeze
Fuel System Cleaning
Battery Replacement
Tire Rotation

Upon picking up my car, I was told that they also had it on computer and could not find a single thing wrong with my car. They could not accurately reproduce my starting issue... and when it happened.. it would only last 3-5 seconds before the car fires up. They told me that they thought it COULD be an issue with the PCM but they have no way of knowing (no this was not a nissan dealership so they did not have the proper computer to read that).

After further research, many people have claimed intermittent starting issues due to fault Camshaft Position sensors so I picked up 2 of those and replaced those myself. I called the mechanic shop back and told him that this did not fix my issue and he said that it very well could be the CRANKSHAFT position sensor but he's only guessing and therefore didnt want me to have to pay to have it done without it being a confirmed fix. I have bought a crankshaft position sensor and was going to do it myself, however, I actually have no idea where it is. I cant seem to find a diagram showing where it is or any video specific to my vehicle that can explicitly help me try to do it myself.

Secondly, does ANYONE have any idea of what else it could be if this crankshaft position sensor doesnt work? The vehicle starts perfectly when it's cold but when it's "warm" it will have intermittent issues starting up. The vehicle does NOT throw a code (I have a FIXD device hooked up to it).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Just paid to have the crankshaft position sensor replaced. I couldn't get to it myself. The moment I get back in my car to drive off, it has trouble firing up again. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forums. I've been trying to do a lot of my own research to see if I can get to the bottom of the issue before I spend a lot of money to bring it in.

I'm REALLY sorry for the long wall of text. I'm struggling to figure this problem out and just want to get as much info out in 1 post so that more people can possibly help without having to ask these questions.

My 2013 Altima has about 115k miles on it. I just had a tune-up and all the things done to it that would be suggested around this period. My spark plugs are suggested for replacement soon so that will probably be on one of the next two paychecks coming up. My issue started about a week and a half ago randomly (before i even brought it in for all the scheduled maintenance). My car would start up perfectly fine in the morning when I leave to go to work. I'd get to work around 8am and wouldnt leave again until lunch at 1130-12. When I did get back into my car to leave, the car would crank and would take anywhere between 3-5 seconds to fully fire up. After the car actually started, I had no issues whatsoever... No error codes, no sluggishness, no shutting down. Once this issue popped up, I decided to go in for the grand schedule maintenance and had them fully check over the car so that we could just replace whatever was causing the issue. The list of items I had done are as follows:

Complete Vehicle Inspection
Belts - R&R Alternator Drive Belt
Tune-up - Tune Electronic Ignition (Minor)
Coolant Fluid Exchange w/ Armor Recyl Antifreeze
Fuel System Cleaning
Battery Replacement
Tire Rotation
I have to ask...what is a "Tune-up - Tune Electronic Ignition (Minor)"?

Just how does one tune the electronic ignition?

According to the 2013 Nissan Altima Service and Maintenance guide, spark plugs should be replaced at 105,000 miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest I'm not really sure. I'm not mechanically inclined. I've been replacing the small stuff first that doesn't cost as much as a spark plug replacement. after looking through documentation though it looks like I could easily do it so maybe I'll actually have to do that next. Could just one failing spark plug be the cause of an intermittent starting issue? maybe when checks were done on the vehicle only one spark plug was checked and the rest were assumed good

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Rough running yes, hard starting no.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If all spark plugs needed to be replaced, that would possibly be the cause of having trouble starting, yes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Just replaced ALL my spark plugs. Fired up strong and I genuinely thought maybe this was the fix for the problem. Couple hours later I go back out to my car and try starting again.... Nope... still had a hard time starting. My issue still has not been fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem. Car starts fine when cold, but once it warms up it will stall. And once it stalls and you try to restart it will start and run for 1 second and then it stalls. This will go on until you kill the battery. All this happens without ever putting the vehicle in gear, all in park. 2013 Altima 2.5SV, 86k miles.

Also, no codes in any system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I took my car to Nissan dealer and they happened to have a Nissan Rep there to look at another car and they also looked at mine and figured out the problem. Something with the intake was messed up and something was stuck. They are replacing parts today. When I get the detailed write up on the bill I will report back.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Sounds like this may not be a one-off freak occurrence...thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be absolutely incredible sir. Even if it's not EXACTLY the issue with mine... Having something to chase is better than nothing! Let us know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealer sends invoice via email when car is ready, here are the details:

Cust Complaint: Vehicle stalls randomly.

Remedy: 86294 Was able to duplicate customer problem, no codes. Investigate intake. Found 1 valve timing control solenoid stuck in one position at all times and other sticks at times. Replaced both solenoids to resolve.

Parts:
11810-6N202 Valve Assy-Control, Qty-1 $25.94
23796-3TA4A Valve Assy-Solenoid, Valve Timing Control, Qty-2, $74.39 each, $148.78

I don't know yet if this will solve problem, but will report back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealer sends invoice via email when car is ready, here are the details:

Cust Complaint: Vehicle stalls randomly.

Remedy: 86294 Was able to duplicate customer problem, no codes. Investigate intake. Found 1 valve timing control solenoid stuck in one position at all times and other sticks at times. Replaced both solenoids to resolve.

Parts:
11810-6N202 Valve Assy-Control, Qty-1 $25.94
23796-3TA4A Valve Assy-Solenoid, Valve Timing Control, Qty-2, $74.39 each, $148.78

I don't know yet if this will solve problem, but will report back.
They were going to save old parts for me, they said one was really bad. I will post a picture when i get back with car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just read more about this part. I am not convinced this will work. Rough idle and poor performance is an issue of this, I did not really have that problem....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had fluctuating RPMs at idle (rough idle) and my gas mileage has dropped some in spite of changing the other parts. Some of my friends are convinced of a failing fuel pump but that's an expensive "replace just to check" move.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I picked it up ans so far so good. They said they are convinced this is problem. They are relatively easy to replace I think. They said these were on the intake side, there are also ones on the exhaust side but those are difficult to replace (back of engine). I talked with the tech that did work, he said when he put power to the sensors one moved intermittently and one did not move at all.

I asked about the fuel pump, and they said they rarely have to change those on these cars, in fact the tech said he had never done one on a 2013-2018 Altima. Typically a fuel pump failure is hard starting and lots of cranking and no fire and poor acceleration.

This is the part, they replace two of them. There is a little plunger down inside that hole that moves up and down when power is applied. I guess you could test them, take them out and apply 12v power source (car battery) and see if yours move.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it is your fuel pump, looks easy to replace, some videos online...some were kind of funny to watch. The fuel pump is easy to access by taking the back seat out. There is an access port into the fuel tank there to change it. But, the part is expensive. I saw online for like $400. A lot of money to spend on a guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, that's the only reason I haven't done that for mine yet... The coupe's have economy fuel pumps that are only 70 bucks. I would have easily spent 70 bucks on a guess and swapped it out later for a better version but the "cheapest" 4-door sedan version that I've been able to find is like 350 or something from Rock Auto. I was told I could test fuel pressure for a $40 gauge kit but I haven't gotten around to that either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would definitely pull your two intake side valve timing solenoids and test them with 12V power to see if they move. I would test them multiple times, they said there was a slight delay in one of mine and one was stuck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts