The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice when starting the car the trip odometer and the mpg reset on its own. Than the 3rd time it held. So I am confused. I have searched around and can’t find a good answer. I found it could be a fuse. But no idea what fuse it could be. Any help is appreciate. Thanks

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,413 Posts
Not a fuse, bad connection at battery terminal, or from battery -ve to chassis/engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know where the chassis ground is? Every appears to be tight and fine on the battery.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Do you know where the chassis ground is? Every appears to be tight and fine on the battery.
Just because the battery cables are tight does not make them "fine". Take them off and clean the inside of the cables, and the battery terminals with one of those handy-dandy battery cable brushes.

And, how old is your battery? Just because the battery starts your car does not mean it maintains enough "juice" to keep everything running right.

Here is what happened to me. Just like you, I had an issue where my Cruise Control light would flash rapidly after start up, sometimes it would go off, sometimes it wouldn't go off. When it was blinking, the Cruise Control would not work. I read the code, and determined that it was low voltage. A few weeks later I purchased a new battery, and never saw that light again.

Coincidence or Conspiracy?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new battery last year. Several months ago I found the negative battery terminal on the battery corrode. I cleaned it. Maybe didn’t clean it good enough. i guess maybe clean the positive terminal too. What is the name of that grease to cover it. Da electric Gresee?

Just because the battery cables are tight does not make them "fine". Take them off and clean the inside of the cables, and the battery terminals with one of those handy-dandy battery cable brushes.

And, how old is your battery? Just because the battery starts your car does not mean it maintains enough "juice" to keep everything running right.

Here is what happened to me. Just like you, I had an issue where my Cruise Control light would flash rapidly after start up, sometimes it would go off, sometimes it wouldn't go off. When it was blinking, the Cruise Control would not work. I read the code, and determined that it was low voltage. A few weeks later I purchased a new battery, and never saw that light again.

Coincidence or Conspiracy?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should also add this morning it wouldn’t start on the first time. So that is leading me more to corroded terminal. Voltage on battery is good.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,413 Posts
If cleaning the terminals and posts doesn't resolve the issue, the next step is to inspect the lower end of the -ve cable where it attaches to the transmission housing. It's not uncommon for Nissans to have an issue between where the cable ends at the tranny housing and the intermediate bolt on the chassis below the battery tray.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So yesterday I cleaned the battery terminals the best I could. Used the baking soda paste with a toothbrush and rags. Hooked the terminals back up. I didn't bother to try and start the car until later in the day. It was struggling to start, tried it 3 times. Check battery voltage and it was 12 volts and went down to 11.8 volts after the last attempt to start. All battery terminals we're nice and tight. At this point I started thinking I might have a bad cell in the battery. Brought it back to Costco and exchanged it for a new battery. Put the new battery in, the car started right up. Took it for a little drive. I periodically checked to see if the trip odometer held the mileage throughout the rest of the day. It held the mileage. I checked again this morning and the mileage held. I hope replacing the battery in combination of cleaning the terminals did the trick. I will give another update in a couple days or so, unless it happens again sooner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts