The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to replace spark plugs and found two out of four almost halfway submerged in oil. cleaned oil out almost sure it’s happenening again

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Of course it will happen again if you did not correct the problem. Did you replace any parts other than the spark plugs?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes, sooner or later you will have same problem with oil leaking into spark plug area.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Here is what you need:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. Thanks. How can I tell that? Also would this explain an mpg reduction to half of what it’s supposed to be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went to replace spark plugs and found two out of four almost halfway submerged in oil. cleaned oil out almost sure it’s happenening again
Replace your valve cover gasket (it's inexpensive and with the right tools, you may be able to DIY; I could've, but had other things to fix too). In June 2018 I was driving one day, thought the car was acting 'funny', and after pulling off at a light, I heard this loud noise and felt a sensation like someone hit me in the rear. Car starting sputtering/hesitating to move, I pulled over, car wouldn't move properly, I noticed this mark on the hood (the spark plug had literally blew and flew up into the hood so hard that 2 years later that mark is a permanent scar), and after calling for a tow and looking under the hood, I eventually looked under the car and literally saw a spark plug on the ground. Turns out that my second cylinder blew because oil had leaked into that area due to a bad valve cover gasket. Fortunately they were able to use a helicoil kit to put a new one in, in which I opted to just have all 4 replaced just in case, got new ignition starter wires and that gasket replaced. When it was pointed out to me, I saw where the oil had even been seeping out around the top of the engine area (wondered how no one who changed my oil, checked fluids etc. had noticed it before!). I'm attaching 2 few pics I took that day after discovering what happened. Note that I have a '98 Altima and at that time I was at ~83-84k miles. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks. How can I tell that? Also would this explain an mpg reduction to half of what it’s supposed to be?
It could very well explain this, but that could also have something to do with a bad O2 sensor (even if your 'check engine' light isn't on). I had reduced mpg and had an O2 sensor replaced; the mpg got better. But I did notice reduced mpg before the incident with my cylinder blowing out; note that I don't drive alot, so going through a tank of gas the way I did considering the driving I do was a lot. I bought my car 10/1/14 with 67,111k and as of today and just at bout 86,200k, so you see how much I DON't really drive! My mpg has improved since those repairs I noted, but I must mention that my fuel pump, sensor and some things to do with the ECM were also replaced 2 months after my spark plug incident as my car would cut off at lights. However, when oil is leaking, the engine isn't running efficiently, so reduced mpg is easy to understand.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It could very well explain this, but that could also have something to do with a bad O2 sensor (even if your 'check engine' light isn't on). I had reduced mpg and had an O2 sensor replaced; the mpg got better. But I did notice reduced mpg before the incident with my cylinder blowing out; note that I don't drive a lot, so going through a tank of gas the way I did considering the driving I do was a lot. I bought my car 10/1/14 with 67,111k and as of today and just at bout 86,200k, so you see how much I DON't really drive! My mpg has improved since those repairs I noted, but I must mention that my fuel pump, sensor and some things to do with the ECM were also replaced 2 months after my spark plug incident as my car would cut off at lights. However, when oil is leaking, the engine isn't running efficiently, so reduced mpg is easy to understand.
Please elaborate, as I'm not understanding your reasoning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts