The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NISSAN SAYTHEY EXTENT THE CVT WARRANTY FOR 10 YEARS 120000 MILES .
MY NISSAN IS A 2013 LESS THAN 10 YEARS OLD AND HAVE 96000 MILES THATS LESS THAN 120000 MILES, WHY NISSAN AND THE DEALER CORAL SPRING AUTO MALL IN CORAL SPRING DONT HONOR THIS EXTENDE WARRANTY?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
CVT TRANSMISSION LIMITED WARRANTY
2003-2010 Nissan vehicles equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) have a 10-year/120,000-mile (whichever comes first) CVT limited warranty extension. For complete information, visit your local Nissan dealer, or read your Warranty Information Booklet.

2013 Nissan Altima warranty

3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
From the Nissan website:

In an effort to ensure customer satisfaction and demonstrate our confidence in continuously variable transmissions (CVTs), and to address customer concerns including those expressed by customers in the class actions, Nissan will extend the warranty coverage on the CVT assembly including: internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals, CVT control valve body, torque converter, cooler kit (if applicable) and reprogram of the Transmission Control Module (TCM), on the effected vehicles from its original duration of 60 months/60,000 miles to 84 months/84,000 miles (whichever occurs first), applicable to the 2013-2016 Altima.

WARRANTY EXTENSION
The Settlement provides an extension of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your Class Vehicle’s transmission from 60 months / 60,000 miles to 84 months / 84,000 miles (whichever occurs first) (the “Warranty Extension”).

Sorry Omar, your vehicle is out of warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello; Unfortunately my brother has one of the Altimas with the affected CVT. He got one of the extended warranty letters. So far his car is doing OK. Well I guess it is his wife's car. I have not kept up with the time or mileage so do not know if he has any warranty left.

This past summer two women were stalled on the side of the highway in front of my home in a Sentra. I walked over to see if I could help. Turned out the transmission was low on oil. They had only one quart of CVT oil with them which I added. The engine was also low on oil. I had some oil to give them. I also had some trans fluid for a Chevy pickup but was not sure if it could be added so did not put any of that in the trans. Still low on trans oil, the car was able to move so they drove away heading to Middlesboro KY about seven miles away.
The next day I went to Middlesboro and saw the car on the side on the road about three miles away. My guess being they had run it too long on too little oil by the time it stalled in front of my house.

Is there a key to keeping these transmissions alive? I get that running them low on oil is bad for any sort of transmission but also gather the CVT is more prone to fail regardless. I am going to avoid a CVT if I can. I get the idea of keeping the engine in the sweet zone of RPM for fuel economy but do not like the way the one in my brother's car drives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the Nissan website:

In an effort to ensure customer satisfaction and demonstrate our confidence in continuously variable transmissions (CVTs), and to address customer concerns including those expressed by customers in the class actions, Nissan will extend the warranty coverage on the CVT assembly including: internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals, CVT control valve body, torque converter, cooler kit (if applicable) and reprogram of the Transmission Control Module (TCM), on the effected vehicles from its original duration of 60 months/60,000 miles to 84 months/84,000 miles (whichever occurs first), applicable to the 2013-2016 Altima.

WARRANTY EXTENSION
The Settlement provides an extension of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your Class Vehicle’s transmission from 60 months / 60,000 miles to 84 months / 84,000 miles (whichever occurs first) (the “Warranty Extension”).

Sorry Omar, your vehicle is out of warranty.
My nissan Ultima only has 24,000 miles on it transmission went out yesterday its a 2013 its not under warranty

·
Registered
49 Posts
My nissan Ultima only has 24,000 miles on it transmission went out yesterday its a 2013 its not under warranty
Hello; My brother has an Altima of around the same year. He got a letter from Nissan about the extra warranty also. He is still using the car and his time is gone. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Not sure what can be done.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello; My brother has an Altima of around the same year. He got a letter from Nissan about the extra warranty also. He is still using the car and his time is gone. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Not sure what can be done.
The extended warranty is 84 months or 84K miles (which ever comes first). 2013 + 7 =2020. Even if Nancy f had bought the 2013 in 2014, the warranty still would have elapsed by now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hello; Unfortunately my brother has one of the Altimas with the affected CVT. He got one of the extended warranty letters. So far his car is doing OK. Well I guess it is his wife's car. I have not kept up with the time or mileage so do not know if he has any warranty left.

This past summer two women were stalled on the side of the highway in front of my home in a Sentra. I walked over to see if I could help. Turned out the transmission was low on oil. They had only one quart of CVT oil with them which I added. The engine was also low on oil. I had some oil to give them. I also had some trans fluid for a Chevy pickup but was not sure if it could be added so did not put any of that in the trans. Still low on trans oil, the car was able to move so they drove away heading to Middlesboro KY about seven miles away.
The next day I went to Middlesboro and saw the car on the side on the road about three miles away. My guess being they had run it too long on too little oil by the time it stalled in front of my house.

Is there a key to keeping these transmissions alive? I get that running them low on oil is bad for any sort of transmission but also gather the CVT is more prone to fail regardless. I am going to avoid a CVT if I can. I get the idea of keeping the engine in the sweet zone of RPM for fuel economy but do not like the way the one in my brother's car drives.
If the CVT is very low on fluid, you'll end up killing it by driving it for some extended period of time. Also if you overfill a CVT, you'll kill it even faster in a short amount of time. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. The fluid has two great enemies, and temperature is only one of them. The other is shearing force generated by normal operation of the belt, which increases on hills or with a load. This gradually breaks down and shortens the long-chain molecules that cushion the belt. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts