The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first car so bare with me.

I bought a 2013 sentra with 20k miles on it. Its just the regular one and it's covered under warranty still Bumper to bumper, 100k miles for engine and transmission and free oil changes and brakes.

Now I was wondering if nissan offers the package where I can get the volume control on the steering wheel and also the back up camera and nav system(For my wife).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure about the Sentra specifically, but generally no.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vlp-assets/media/vehicles/2013/sentra/brochure/2013-nissan-sentra.pdf

You MAY be able to find a used Nav radio on E-bay and rear view camera and steering wheel control buttons. I don't know if the wiring is in the car or not or if you would have to add the wiring harnesses also.

IMHO - your best bet is to get a Garmin PND with lifetime map updates for your GPS.

If you don't want to do that - you can either get a Chinese Android stereo (cheaper) or preferably something like a Kenwood or Pioneer GPS double-din receiver and an aftermarket rear view camera off E-bay or AliExpress.

Look around $200-$300 for the Android unit or $500-$700 for the Kenwood or Pioneer and dash kit and wiring harness and $25 for the camera.

The steering wheel controls might be tough. I would probably skip those, but it might be as simple as finding the switches on E-bay or a junkyard and adding them and then (if required) wiring in something like an ASWC-1 to talk to the Pioneer or Kenwood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about the Sentra specifically, but generally no.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vlp-assets/media/vehicles/2013/sentra/brochure/2013-nissan-sentra.pdf

You MAY be able to find a used Nav radio on E-bay and rear view camera and steering wheel control buttons. I don't know if the wiring is in the car or not or if you would have to add the wiring harnesses also.

IMHO - your best bet is to get a Garmin PND with lifetime map updates for your GPS.

If you don't want to do that - you can either get a Chinese Android stereo (cheaper) or preferably something like a Kenwood or Pioneer GPS double-din receiver and an aftermarket rear view camera off E-bay or AliExpress.

Look around $200-$300 for the Android unit or $500-$700 for the Kenwood or Pioneer and dash kit and wiring harness and $25 for the camera.

The steering wheel controls might be tough. I would probably skip those, but it might be as simple as finding the switches on E-bay or a junkyard and adding them and then (if required) wiring in something like an ASWC-1 to talk to the Pioneer or Kenwood.
I gotcha so My main concern was does doing any of that void any of my warrenty? That's whats holding me back.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ne...wn-maintenance-how-relates-your-warranty.html

The radio isn't a problem - I would get the Metra Harness so you don't have to cut the OEM wiring.

The camera does need to splice into the reverse signal wiring.

The switches MIGHT be a warranty issue.

As the link above says - if you wire it properly, the warranty is not affected.

Now - if you wire the switches incorrectly and deploy the airbag (there is airbag wiring near them and you have to remove the airbag to install the switches) - the airbag replacement will not be covered under warranty (and can be expensive), but the engine and transmission and everything else will still be under warranty.

For future reference - on modern cars I generally don't recommend buying the car without the features you want unless you know how to upgrade them.

i.e.:

If the car doesn't have fog lights - it might be VERY hard to add fog lights to it and have the dashboard fog indicator light up.

If the radio isn't what you want, it is better to get the upgraded model with the better radio unless you know there is a harness kit and dash kit for the car and you know how to install it.

I realize if you are buying used sometimes you take what you can get and you might find a clean low mileage, low price base model that is too good to pass up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ne...wn-maintenance-how-relates-your-warranty.html

The radio isn't a problem - I would get the Metra Harness so you don't have to cut the OEM wiring.

The camera does need to splice into the reverse signal wiring.

The switches MIGHT be a warranty issue.

As the link above says - if you wire it properly, the warranty is not affected.

Now - if you wire the switches incorrectly and deploy the airbag (there is airbag wiring near them and you have to remove the airbag to install the switches) - the airbag replacement will not be covered under warranty (and can be expensive), but the engine and transmission and everything else will still be under warranty.

For future reference - on modern cars I generally don't recommend buying the car without the features you want unless you know how to upgrade them.

i.e.:

If the car doesn't have fog lights - it might be VERY hard to add fog lights to it and have the dashboard fog indicator light up.

If the radio isn't what you want, it is better to get the upgraded model with the better radio unless you know there is a harness kit and dash kit for the car and you know how to install it.

I realize if you are buying used sometimes you take what you can get and you might find a clean low mileage, low price base model that is too good to pass up.
Thanks for the info man and yea Its my first car so I didn't really look into these features till after the fact lol rookie mistake

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have questions or want advice on the install, post back - give me an idea of what you are looking for and level of experience first, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
More questions ...

Do you want or care about Sirius/XM with the new radio?

Do you have a smartphone with unlimited data that you could mirror to the radio for GPS?

Background -

For the radio install - (Pioneer or Kenwood or standard) - this is roughly what is involved -

How to install a car stereo

If that didn't scare you, this should:

Car Stereo Installation/Upgrade Primer

Dash Kit - this will be free with most radios from Crutchfield or Sonic):
Metra 99-7618G (met-997618g) Nissan Sentra 2013-up Single DIN

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20130910115100/Manuals/120/120997618G.PDF - This explains removing the old radio.

Camera - this one looks good: 1pcs LED Backup Reverse Car Parking Camera for Nissan Sentra 2008 2014 | eBay

Wiring adapter (for Pioneer/Kenwood) - Metra 70-7552 (met-707552) Wiring Harness for Select 2007-2008

Stereo -
Chinese - Android 4 4 Car DVD Radio Stereo GPS for Nissan Sylphy B17 Sentra 2012 2013 2014 | eBay - this is your easiest option - but it is pricey, and there isn't much out there for the Sentra, and Chinese quality is hit-or-miss.

Chinese - less expensive - http://stores.ebay.com/JoyingDVDmanufacturer/Universal-2-Din-Stereo-/_i.html?_fsub=8231962015 - any of these will work - I'd avoid the 10.1's and look for quad-core, Android 4.4, mirror-link, etc. This one looks decent, but largely it comes down to button layout: Android4 4 Quadcore Universal Car Stereo Radio GPS 1 6GHz Airplay HD 3G 1024 600 | eBay

You will need the dash kit with these. Contact the seller, but these come with a DIN-plug-connector. If they don't sell a bare-wire connector, you will have to cut the plug off and wire it to the Metra harness above - which probably voids your warranty/return on it, but should work.

GPS radios - (Sort Price: Lowest First) In-Dash Car GPS Navigation | Car Stereos & Radios | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix - avoid the cheap brands - the AVIC-5100NEX would be a great choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I have a phone with unlimited data it would be nice to have a radio that connects with Bluetooth so I won't have to worry about aux wires

·
Registered
15 Posts
I should have backed up a bit ...

"So this is my first car so bare with me. ... Now I was wondering if nissan offers the package where I can get the volume control on the steering wheel and also the back up camera and nav system(For my wife).
It's your car, but your wife wants the back-up camera and nav system - or you share the car?

Anyway - most anything out there now will connect with Bluetooth.

What I was mainly getting at was that if everyone who wants navigation on the car is okay with using a phone with Google Maps or some other GPS program, you don't need a car stereo with GPS - you just need one with mirror-link or Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That will save you a bit of money.

I'm not sure how well that integrates with the radio - maybe someone else can comment. (i.e. I know you can select a destination on your phone and the radio will show the phone display and tell you where you are and how to get there. I don't know if the radio can play music in the background and interrupt the music for voice prompts while doing that.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have backed up a bit ...

It's your car, but your wife wants the back-up camera and nav system - or you share the car?

Anyway - most anything out there now will connect with Bluetooth.

What I was mainly getting at was that if everyone who wants navigation on the car is okay with using a phone with Google Maps or some other GPS program, you don't need a car stereo with GPS - you just need one with mirror-link or Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That will save you a bit of money.

I'm not sure how well that integrates with the radio - maybe someone else can comment. (i.e. I know you can select a destination on your phone and the radio will show the phone display and tell you where you are and how to get there. I don't know if the radio can play music in the background and interrupt the music for voice prompts while doing that.)
We are sharing the car but I use it way more than she does. I am going to take a look at these radios

1 - 11 of 11 Posts