The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2014 Altima 4cylinder with 120,000 on it and just wondering if there are any issues/problems with these models. I have heard of tranny issues if very frequent fluid changes hasn't happened. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You heard wrong. Those CVT's are rock solid in that 5th.generation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also was told by a Nissan tech that the 14's had recalls on CVT programming (TCM). They said if it didnt have the recall done or if it throws "judder" codes then I should consider ditching it. I have read other articles concerning CVT issues as well. I am gonna ask the previous owner about past work they had done. They owned it since 22,000 so I pray they had the recall done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also was told by a Nissan tech that the 14's had recalls on CVT programming (TCM). They said if it didnt have the recall done or if it throws "judder" codes then I should consider ditching it. I have read other articles concerning CVT issues as well. I am gonna ask the previous owner about past work they had done. They owned it since 22,000 so I pray they had the recall done.

. View attachment 101611
I had the voluntary service campaign done when it was announced. I have not noticed any difference after three years and 60K miles. I bought my 14 brand new Feb 2014. Never have had an issue with the CVT except that it is noisy when it's below freezing outside. The noise is just an annoyance. It goes away in warmer weather.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Take your car to a Nissan dealership, one will be able to determine if and when the reprogramming had been completed. This was a voluntary service campaign (PC490) that could only be completed by a dealership.

NHTSA ID Number: 10109112
Manufacturer Communication Number: NTB16-121

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is I have to go probably 2 hours to find a dealer. I'm out in the mountains of western part of ,NC. Probably a dealer near Atlanta or Chattanooga,TN. That's prob pricey but not as pricey as a new trans would be...😬

·
Registered
104 Posts
That is an inconvenience to be sure. I have a Nissan dealership only 2 miles from my workplace.
One thing - change the CVT fluid, either by yourself (it's easy) or take it to a mechanic.
Mountain driving is hard on transmissions particularly in the summer when the fluid gets hot
Elevated CVT fluid temps degrade the fluid reducing its ability to perform adequately.
I'm fortunate to live on flat land with a temperate climate. I am hopeful that my CVT will make it to 200K miles with failing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts