The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 S & Warranty About to Expire, Advice?

So, my 2014 Altima S has about 33K miles on it, so the time is running short on the manufacturer's 36K bumper to bumper warranty. (I bought it used just a few weeks ago).

Any recommendations on known issues with this year/model that I should be aware of and have the dealership address while it's still fully covered under warranty?

i.e. I read the sticky regarding the CVT issues that others are having but are there any others or even TSB types of things that would be good to bring up to the service advisor to look at while the warranty is still in effect just to make sure it’s dealt with?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Warranty is for things that break, don't work right, or otherwise need repair. If you have something that needs to be repaired, take it to a Nissan dealer for repair.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
What advice are you looking for?

Do you want advice on which extended warranty to purchase because your manufacturer warranty is about to expire?

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
So, my 2014 Altima S has about 33K miles on it, so the time is running short on the manufacturer's 36K bumper to bumper warranty. (I bought it used just a few weeks ago).

Any recommendations on known issues with this year/model that I should be aware of and have the dealership address while it's still fully covered under warranty?

i.e. I read the sticky regarding the CVT issues that others are having but are there any others or even TSB types of things that would be good to bring up to the service advisor to look at while the warranty is still in effect just to make sure it’s dealt with?

thanks!
I'm staying away from those things, I don't have much faith in them. I'm thinking that if I really need it they will try to weezle out of it with endless finger pointing. Ever notice how many different offers you get for those and how aggressive they are about selling them ? That's your first clue it's a good deal for them (free money and a lot of it) and a bad deal for you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm staying away from those things, I don't have much faith in them. I'm thinking that if I really need it they will try to weezle out of it with endless finger pointing. Ever notice how many different offers you get for those and how aggressive they are about selling them ? That's your first clue it's a good deal for them (free money and a lot of it) and a bad deal for you.
I bolded that last part for emphasis, because so few people seem to understand this.

My 2013 Altima has cost $0 out of warranty for repairs, and now has 85k miles. Yes - it may break, but if it does I will have it repaired, and the cost will likely be less than the cost of an extended warranty.

I've seen people get a $500 repair and sigh with relief that they bought an extended warranty. They never seem to understand that the cost of the warranty exceeded the cost of repair at least threefold. "Peace of mind" is apparently worth many times the cost of repairs.

·
Registered
591 Posts
when i was working at the nissan dealer, and something went bad like a tire sensor, window switch, or bcm and i knew the car was out of basic warranty from mileage/year i was quite happy to make some actual money from the car. but then the service advisor would come back and be like replace it, they got extended and i'd be like fubar!!! since extended warranty labor time pays garbage. but extended warranty does pay for itself on a nissan i can guarantee that. the cvt alone after 5/60 will pay for the extended warranty. i still wouldn't count on those front inside door handles on the 13+ altima not to break from such a poor design, terrible wheel bearings, tire sensors, door latch actuators, vent control valve. those are all commonly failed items on a 13+ altima. also when extended warranty, check which package covers what.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i still wouldn't count on those front inside door handles on the 13+ altima not to break from such a poor design, terrible wheel bearings, tire sensors, door latch actuators, vent control valve. those are all commonly failed items on a 13+ altima. also when extended warranty, check which package covers what.
Wheel bearings are easy to replace, and would likely fail outside of an extended warranty. I've never seen a single post on here for failed tire sensors, door handles, door latch actuators, or vent control values. Even if those were common fail items, they're all relatively inexpensive to replace in comparison with the cost of an extended warranty.

·
Registered
466 Posts
when i was working at the nissan dealer, and something went bad like a tire sensor, window switch, or bcm and i knew the car was out of basic warranty from mileage/year i was quite happy to make some actual money from the car. but then the service advisor would come back and be like replace it, they got extended and i'd be like fubar!!! since extended warranty labor time pays garbage. but extended warranty does pay for itself on a nissan i can guarantee that. the cvt alone after 5/60 will pay for the extended warranty. i still wouldn't count on those front inside door handles on the 13+ altima not to break from such a poor design, terrible wheel bearings, tire sensors, door latch actuators, vent control valve. those are all commonly failed items on a 13+ altima. also when extended warranty, check which package covers what.
SHM , see what you get when you try to offer good info .

You get kicked in the balls...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wheel bearings are easy to replace, and would likely fail outside of an extended warranty. I've never seen a single post on here for failed tire sensors, door handles, door latch actuators, or vent control values. Even if those were common fail items, they're all relatively inexpensive to replace in comparison with the cost of an extended warranty.
fyi, front wheel bearing/hub assembly are covered under the 5/60 power train warranty, and yes extended warranty covers those hubs. you may have never seen a single post about those items failing, but you have to remember altimas is a very commonly bought car outside of the enthusiast/diy world. alot of ppl buy them not knowing a single thing how a car operates or knows how to turn a wrench, altimas are a huge fleet vehicle like car rental companies, ask me how i know.....yes wheel bearings are easy to you and some other people, not to your average everyday owner. what happens when you break the abs sensor or cant get it out of the knuckle? do you have the tools, time to get it out or have the technique to go around it? or do you have to spend another $300 for that sensor? alot problems seen on the altima arent posted on a forum, they end up at a dealership. what's the average cost of extended warranty? $1800? time,labor,parts all add up into that cost of repair. as i said, not everyone is a diyer nor do everyone have the proper diagnosis skill. but when you live in a salt state, you see alot of problems that arent as common

SHM , see what you get when you try to offer good info .

You get kicked in the balls...
owell i tried, i guess we'll just take the non-warranty pay

·
Registered
364 Posts
I didn't mean to "kick anyone in the balls" -- I just disagreed, which is ok.

To answer your question about costs -- if I can't fix it, I use a private, reputable mechanic. Dealership mechanics are ridiculously expensive, and there's zero reason to use one outside of warranty.

Extended warranties are huge profit centers for dealers for a reason.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There are independent shops out there that will gladly deal with extended warranty companies. Before you continue to throw dealership mechanics under the bus, there are plenty of good reasons to use a dealership mechanic outside of warranty.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There are independent shops out there that will gladly deal with extended warranty companies. Before you continue to throw dealership mechanics under the bus, there are plenty of good reasons to use a dealership mechanic outside of warranty.
Extended warranties are a waste of money -- that was my point.

I'm not throwing dealership mechanics under the bus, either. I know you're competent, but you're way more expensive than the competition and don't necessarily do better work. Your competition isn't paying for service writers and a bunch of other nonsense that I'd rather not pay extra for.

Dealerships are set up for warranty work, and totally fleece customers for anything else. This can't possibly be surprising to you...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Extended warranties are a waste of money -- that was my point.

I'm not throwing dealership mechanics under the bus, either. I know you're competent, but you're way more expensive than the competition and don't necessarily do better work. Your competition isn't paying for service writers and a bunch of other nonsense that I'd rather not pay extra for.

Dealerships are set up for warranty work, and totally fleece customers for anything else. This can't possibly be surprising to you...
So true..at my local dealership, there are 2-3 ladies at the service dept. that don't do shit and just sit there as cashiers, then you have 4-6 service writers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts