The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, curious if anyone has more understanding of this than I do and is willing to share and help.
I have 2015 Nissan Sentra and overall I love it, no major issues. That said, the radios seem to be defective in many Sentras and other models as well. When I got the car, the radio, which also has a back up camera, worked perfectly fine. Start the car, bam, there's the word Nissan on the screen and it's instantly on. After about 1 year or so, the radio almost never works.

9/10 times when I turn on my car, the radio doesn't turn on, at all. Thus, the back up camera doesn't work, and neither does the USB in the console.

Anyway, some days the radio turns on right away and everything is fine. Then it'll turn off in as little as 30 seconds or after 40 minutes, sometimes it'll actually work for hours at a time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. If it does work for 30 minutes and I go into the store and come back out, I start the car back up again, it doesn't work at all. Again, sometimes it'll take 15 seconds, 30 minutes or more to come back on, but usually never.

Once in a blue moon, the radio will actually start up when I start my car. Many times when it shuts off, I hear a click noise under my steering wheel and to the left. There are fuses there, but I don't believe they're related to the radio, which is odd. I've checked them, though.

It seems to turn on and off, work or not work at all at just completely random times.
I took it to the dealership, who said the USB charger in the console doesn't work because it's wired into the radio, so when the radio is off, the charger also won't work, which is the majority of the time. They said to fix it, the cost would be $3,000+tax to put in a new radio. I called corporate who said they'd reduce the cost to $1,100+tax or so. I again told them no, because I could buy their new radio for $1,100 online and do it myself in minutes. That said, I don't want to do that either because I know it'll just break again within a year, and I don't want to shell out $1,000+ every few months to listen to music in the car. I truly believe they're defective and Nissan won't say anything about it.

After some googling, I found out hundreds and hundreds of people have had this problem over the years and not just with Sentras. One guy had warranty, and said they replaced his radio with a brand new one twice in one month. As far as what I've seen, there's no fix or solution to this. I've checked every fuse (that I know of/to my knowledge) and so did the dealership.

So my question is, is there by chance something I missed and/or does someone here have any additional knowledge or potential solutions? I definitely could have missed something while googling. I've seen people say disconnecting the battery and reconnect it helps. I've done that, the radio never works at start up after doing so like it does for others. Then a few days later, it'll just randomly turn on. I took the radio out and checked the connections in the back to it, they seem connected well. I've bought a brand new, good name battery. No change.

Any recommendations whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I'm going nuts I love to have my music up a bit loud and listening to stuff through my phone or with a little bluetooth speaker in the car isn't cutting it (I know, people have bigger problems lol).
Also, does anyone think if I had a 3rd party radio installed that it would work with the backup camera and USB port in the console? Or do I need the OEM radio for those?
I'll spend a $1,000 on a 3rd party radio+installation, just so long as I don't end up finding out it's something else entirely and then have the new, 3rd party radio start doing the same thing. Again, the Nissan dealership said it's the radio itself, not any wiring anywhere else. Perhaps I should try another dealership to look at it?

TL;DR: My 2015 Nissan Sentra radio shuts off and on randomly, sometimes doesn't work for days/weeks.Fuses and wiring seem to be perfect. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3RD party audio shop said this happens with a ton of nissans. More so than any other car company.

They put in a new, aftermarket radio and it has 0 issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, curious if anyone has more understanding of this than I do and is willing to share and help.
I have 2015 Nissan Sentra and overall I love it, no major issues. That said, the radios seem to be defective in many Sentras and other models as well. When I got the car, the radio, which also has a back up camera, worked perfectly fine. Start the car, bam, there's the word Nissan on the screen and it's instantly on. After about 1 year or so, the radio almost never works.

9/10 times when I turn on my car, the radio doesn't turn on, at all. Thus, the back up camera doesn't work, and neither does the USB in the console.

Anyway, some days the radio turns on right away and everything is fine. Then it'll turn off in as little as 30 seconds or after 40 minutes, sometimes it'll actually work for hours at a time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. If it does work for 30 minutes and I go into the store and come back out, I start the car back up again, it doesn't work at all. Again, sometimes it'll take 15 seconds, 30 minutes or more to come back on, but usually never.

Once in a blue moon, the radio will actually start up when I start my car. Many times when it shuts off, I hear a click noise under my steering wheel and to the left. There are fuses there, but I don't believe they're related to the radio, which is odd. I've checked them, though.

It seems to turn on and off, work or not work at all at just completely random times.
I took it to the dealership, who said the USB charger in the console doesn't work because it's wired into the radio, so when the radio is off, the charger also won't work, which is the majority of the time. They said to fix it, the cost would be $3,000+tax to put in a new radio. I called corporate who said they'd reduce the cost to $1,100+tax or so. I again told them no, because I could buy their new radio for $1,100 online and do it myself in minutes. That said, I don't want to do that either because I know it'll just break again within a year, and I don't want to shell out $1,000+ every few months to listen to music in the car. I truly believe they're defective and Nissan won't say anything about it.

After some googling, I found out hundreds and hundreds of people have had this problem over the years and not just with Sentras. One guy had warranty, and said they replaced his radio with a brand new one twice in one month. As far as what I've seen, there's no fix or solution to this. I've checked every fuse (that I know of/to my knowledge) and so did the dealership.

So my question is, is there by chance something I missed and/or does someone here have any additional knowledge or potential solutions? I definitely could have missed something while googling. I've seen people say disconnecting the battery and reconnect it helps. I've done that, the radio never works at start up after doing so like it does for others. Then a few days later, it'll just randomly turn on. I took the radio out and checked the connections in the back to it, they seem connected well. I've bought a brand new, good name battery. No change.

Any recommendations whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I'm going nuts I love to have my music up a bit loud and listening to stuff through my phone or with a little bluetooth speaker in the car isn't cutting it (I know, people have bigger problems lol).
Also, does anyone think if I had a 3rd party radio installed that it would work with the backup camera and USB port in the console? Or do I need the OEM radio for those?
I'll spend a $1,000 on a 3rd party radio+installation, just so long as I don't end up finding out it's something else entirely and then have the new, 3rd party radio start doing the same thing. Again, the Nissan dealership said it's the radio itself, not any wiring anywhere else. Perhaps I should try another dealership to look at it?

TL;DR: My 2015 Nissan Sentra radio shuts off and on randomly, sometimes doesn't work for days/weeks.Fuses and wiring seem to be perfect. Any suggestions?
I have a 2015 Sentra too with the same issues. My radio didn't work for 8 months or so and then magically started working a few weeks ago, now back to not working. Can I ask what aftermarket radio you installed? Does it work with backup camera?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Sentra too with the same issues. My radio didn't work for 8 months or so and then magically started working a few weeks ago, now back to not working. Can I ask what aftermarket radio you installed? Does it work with backup camera?
Sorry I just want to clarify- my radio looks like it's on- I can press the buttons and change the station but there's no sound, and also the backup camera isn't working. Is this the same issue you were having?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an Alpine iLX-W650. It works with the backup camera, even better because the screen is bigger/clearer. Plus, you can adjust Green/Yellow/Red line/cones on the screen to your liking with the backup camera settings on the device.

It has Android Auto and Apple Car Play. The volume buttons on the steering wheel still work. The skip track/go back a track still work. The answering calls/hangup button on the steering wheel do not answer/hangup calls, BUT, if you push it, it'll bring up Google/Siri and you can ask it to take you somewhere and pull up a map. So, it doesn't make that button useless, just gives you a different feature.

Overall, I love it. The shop I went to told me Nissans have an issue with the wiring because everything is wired up together through the radio. So my cig lighter and USB that are built into the console no longer work, but I expected that given how Nissan designs their cars. If that's an issue, I'm sure I could take it to an electrical place and get those working. I'd rather have a radio that works 100% of the time than those plugs so I wasn't bummed about losing them. The radio has a microphone piece which is very small wired behind my visor, and a USB cable that charges the phone coming out from underneath the gear shift. So I'd definitely get it professionally installed so it looks clean. An aftermarket radio will not just plug and play like a factory one will, so if you don't take it to a shop, you'll have to know a bit about wiring/electrical.

The factory ones can be replaced quite easily if you buy one for $1000. Just pop off the cover, undo 4 screws and match and plug. BUT, of course, that radio may not work for too long. And as the shop told me, it's usually the wiring under the dash so it's almost guaranteed to break again. This after market radio kicks ass and was $300, and another $300 for installation, something like that. I paid $640 after taxes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I just want to clarify- my radio looks like it's on- I can press the buttons and change the station but there's no sound, and also the backup camera isn't working. Is this the same issue you were having?
That was a different issue than mine. Mine would turn off completely, no lights or sound. That said I've read a lot about these radios while trying to fix mine, it's a similar issue. Nissan will probably tell you to replace it and there's a good chance it'll go again in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got an Alpine iLX-W650. It works with the backup camera, even better because the screen is bigger/clearer. Plus, you can adjust Green/Yellow/Red line/cones on the screen to your liking with the backup camera settings on the device.

It has Android Auto and Apple Car Play. The volume buttons on the steering wheel still work. The skip track/go back a track still work. The answering calls/hangup button on the steering wheel do not answer/hangup calls, BUT, if you push it, it'll bring up Google/Siri and you can ask it to take you somewhere and pull up a map. So, it doesn't make that button useless, just gives you a different feature.

Overall, I love it. The shop I went to told me Nissans have an issue with the wiring because everything is wired up together through the radio. So my cig lighter and USB that are built into the console no longer work, but I expected that given how Nissan designs their cars. If that's an issue, I'm sure I could take it to an electrical place and get those working. I'd rather have a radio that works 100% of the time than those plugs so I wasn't bummed about losing them. The radio has a microphone piece which is very small wired behind my visor, and a USB cable that charges the phone coming out from underneath the gear shift. So I'd definitely get it professionally installed so it looks clean. An aftermarket radio will not just plug and play like a factory one will, so if you don't take it to a shop, you'll have to know a bit about wiring/electrical.

The factory ones can be replaced quite easily if you buy one for $1000. Just pop off the cover, undo 4 screws and match and plug. BUT, of course, that radio may not work for too long. And as the shop told me, it's usually the wiring under the dash so it's almost guaranteed to break again. This after market radio kicks ass and was $300, and another $300 for installation, something like that. I paid $640 after taxes.
Thanks so much! Will definitely look into this option. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts