The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Citzen Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new Altima SL 3.5 with I believe to have a Torque Convertor problem.
I purchased the car last Friday (4/15). It was doing great until yesterday. When I pulled into my garage I noticed that I had a check engine light on. I read the code and it was 0744 which has something to do with the transmission and possibly the torque convertor. It had been driving fine so I just cleared the code and planned to call the dealer if it came back.
However now when I drive it on a very smooth road, it feels like the road is rough. Almost like I have 45 lbs of air in my tires. Also it seems that my gas mileage has increased some what.
Has anyone else experience this?
By the way when I purchased the car I had the dealer change out the original wheels to 17" with new Michelin tires and it rode very smooth before the 0744 code.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
This can be caused by low or contaminated fluid. Have the level checked for starters.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Bring it back to dealer & get them to fix this , they might have to change the tranny , hate that when I see that .

·
Senior Citzen Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: After 3 trips in the Altima, the ride smoothed out and is running like it did when I drove it off the lot. I am not going to take it back to the dealer now. They would just say that they cannot reproduce the problem. I will wait until the problem reoccurs if it does. Hopefully it was a blip in the life of the car and hopefully it will not come back.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Your first mistake was clearing the code... at least that was somewhat proof of a possible issue.

Possible issues with the p0744 code

"- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid

Read more: P0744 NISSAN Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent | AutoCodes
"

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's a brand new car with a transmission problem. I would insist on a new car (seriously).
I have read the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty booklet, and try as I might, I can't find anything about Nissan giving you a new car IF you have a transmission problem on the car you bought from a dealer.

I did find this:

NO CHARGE

Warranty repairs will be made at no charge for parts and/orlabor (except for batteries and tires, in which case you may pay certain charges as noted above or as described in the applicable tire warranty found later in this booklet). Any needed parts replacement will be made using genuine Nissan or Nissan approved new or remanufactured parts.

Can you find it, and point it out to me?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Update: After 3 trips in the Altima, the ride smoothed out and is running like it did when I drove it off the lot. I am not going to take it back to the dealer now. They would just say that they cannot reproduce the problem. I will wait until the problem reoccurs if it does. Hopefully it was a blip in the life of the car and hopefully it will not come back.
Hope is not a strategy.

Tell the dealer what happened, which code was thrown and ask them to at least check the fluid level for you. If they refuse or want to charge you..shrug and tell them its cheaper than a new transmission, but whatever, your call.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have read the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty booklet, and try as I might, I can't find anything about Nissan giving you a new car IF you have a transmission problem on the car you bought from a dealer.

Can you find it, and point it out to me?
I think you knew before you opened the warranty booklet that there's no provision for a new car. That said, sometimes it's completely reasonable to expect more than the minimum. This is one of those times.

·
Not an unregistered user
2,282 Posts
I think you knew before you opened the warranty booklet that there's no provision for a new car. That said, sometimes it's completely reasonable to expect more than the minimum. This is one of those times.
Legally, this is more Lemon Law territory.

·
Registered
190 Posts
WTF?

It's a new car with a warranty that is having an issue. Bring it to the dealership and have them fix it, especially if it had a code to back up your findings.

Unless you really do want to be broken down on the side of the road and/or cause the problem to snowball.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bring it back to the dealer and never clear the code that quickly for something brand new...if this dealer has any care (which I am sure it does) then they would see a check engine light on (on a new car) and take care of it

·
Senior Citzen Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, So far I have had no more issues or trouble codes with the car. I am going to take in to the dealer next week just to get the transmission fluid level checked as a precaution. But it looks like it was just a temporary blip.
I just love the way the car drives and the power of the V6 is awesome. I am having a lot of fun just driving it.

·
Senior Citzen Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Latest update on my CVT issue. I did take the car back to the dealer and they checked it out and said everything was fine. The technician did not check the transmission fluid level. He said it was a new car and did not need it. I now understand why he did not want to check it. Both problems occurred driving up a steep hill and I told him that and he just smiled like I was some sort of dummy. What I did when I got home was to add 6 ounces of NS3 to the CVT. It has been running ok since. I was very curious about the level and when "rogoman" shared this link,
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2016 Altima/TM.pdf ,
I was able to check the level of the transmission fluid myself. The reason that the technician did not want to check it at the dealer was I would have had to leave the car overnight for him to do it correctly. The transmission heats up very fast but cools off very slowly.
The bottom line is my car came from the factory with the transmission fluid about a half pint low. Since I got the fluid level correct some of the riding quality improved which I had contributed to the tires. A little smoother now.
If anyone on this board decides to use this procedure to check their CVT fluid level, it is important to have an accurate way to check the fluid temperature and to have the car level while checking it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, how were you able to check the fluid temp and how did you add fluid? Just reading the procedure, it appears you don't actually check the level, but add until it overflows? I'm hoping I never have to do this, but?

Gerald

·
Senior Citzen Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, how were you able to check the fluid temp and how did you add fluid? Just reading the procedure, it appears you don't actually check the level, but add until it overflows? I'm hoping I never have to do this, but?

Gerald
-To check the temperature I inserted a flexible temperature probe (left over from a previous employer) into the overflow hole. I bent the probe so that it would go in the hole and bend down slightly to contact the fluid. I added the fluid through the "fake" dipstick tube.
-One precaution is if you get it up to temperature and the fluid is low, by the time you add fluid the temperature will be too high & out of range. It takes the transmission a long time to cool off unless you are in Canada. In my case I added fluid and rechecked it the next day. It was the third day before I got my fluid level correct because I did not add enough the first time.
-Another item of interest is you do not want to remove the overflow plug if the engine is not running because you will lose fluid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts