The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned in my 2013 leased SV yesterday and bought a 2016 SL. Nice incremental upgrades, but the latest version of Nissan Connect is just awful. (To the point where I'd have looked at a different make if I knew just how bad). Nissan has regressed. The system in the 2016 is worse than the 2013 - Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone requires a connection to the USB port (isn't the point of Bluetooth to be wireless?), Google send to car is now a part of the $25/month Premium Plus package, and I'm not sure if use of Pandora requires a paid Nissan Connect subscription, because I never got it to work.

I'm on a 6 month free trial but will not be paying to use this mess. The whole thing is "powered by" SiriusXM, so I should have suspected that this would be overpriced and buggy. Just another example of why car makers should stick to cars and just go to Apple or Android for their infotainment software.

Potential buyers, ask a lot of questions and try it out for yourself at the dealership - there is very little specific or useful information on Nissan's site, so you have no warning on just how bad this is until its sitting in your driveway.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Turned in my 2013 leased SV yesterday and bought a 2016 SL. Nice incremental upgrades, but the latest version of Nissan Connect is just awful. (To the point where I'd have looked at a different make if I knew just how bad). Nissan has regressed. The system in the 2016 is worse than the 2013 - Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone requires a connection to the USB port (isn't the point of Bluetooth to be wireless?), Google send to car is now a part of the $25/month Premium Plus package, and I'm not sure if use of Pandora requires a paid Nissan Connect subscription, because I never got it to work.

I'm on a 6 month free trial but will not be paying to use this mess. The whole thing is "powered by" SiriusXM, so I should have suspected that this would be overpriced and buggy. Just another example of why car makers should stick to cars and just go to Apple or Android for their infotainment software.

Potential buyers, ask a lot of questions and try it out for yourself at the dealership - there is very little specific or useful information on Nissan's site, so you have no warning on just how bad this is until its sitting in your driveway.
Wow, that does suck. All car makers are failing at infotainment no matter how much money they throw at it and that is the very reason Apple and Google decided to take over. If they had been doing it well there would be no reason for Carplay and Android Auto to exist.

When it comes to styling and technology I think cars are going through an awkward "almost there" period. Maybe the 20's will be better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think Auto makers are 6-8 years behind on technology in cars. and Google and Apple are about 3-4 years behind.
There should be a fully connectable phone to car radio screen. With 4G download update capability.
USB ports galore - one in each top corners of the dash, 3-4 in the center console, 3 in the back.

Heck the dashboards display should be fully customizable -- yearssss ago. Funny how RPMs are still the same size as MPH even though we drive an automatic. Would be nice that the dash would: display voltage output level from alternator, battery voltage, radiator temperature, oil level display, lamp/light bulb notification of being burned out, transmission level, break fluid level, list goes on and on. plus when something is wrong the display shows up in red.

·
Not an unregistered user
2,282 Posts
I think Auto makers are 6-8 years behind on technology in cars. and Google and Apple are about 3-4 years behind.
There should be a fully connectable phone to car radio screen. With 4G download update capability.
USB ports galore - one in each top corners of the dash, 3-4 in the center console, 3 in the back.

Heck the dashboards display should be fully customizable -- yearssss ago. Funny how RPMs are still the same size as MPH even though we drive an automatic. Would be nice that the dash would: display voltage output level from alternator, battery voltage, radiator temperature, oil level display, lamp/light bulb notification of being burned out, transmission level, break fluid level, list goes on and on. plus when something is wrong the display shows up in red.
GM has most of this already, including the 4G access (though I don't know if it's used for updates or not). Granted, the dash displays aren't fully customizable, but they do offer most of the info that you'd mentioned.

·
Registered
286 Posts

I just spent a week in a Dodge Journey rental. The radio didn't have blue tooth and was really primative but the settings for the vehicle allowed me to keep the radio/power on 30sec, 5min, or 10min which is a huge feature to me.

Also, on the trip computer they had Oil Temp down to 1°F, Oil Pressure at 1PSI intervals, Transmission Temp @ 1°F intervals, and Coolant temp @ 1°F intervals. Most people don't ever need to know that info but I'm a data addict so I would love to know all that about my Altima.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just spent a week in a Dodge Journey rental. The radio didn't have blue tooth and was really primative but the settings for the vehicle allowed me to keep the radio/power on 30sec, 5min, or 10min which is a huge feature to me.

Also, on the trip computer they had Oil Temp down to 1°F, Oil Pressure at 1PSI intervals, Transmission Temp @ 1°F intervals, and Coolant temp @ 1°F intervals. Most people don't ever need to know that info but I'm a data addict so I would love to know all that about my Altima.
Torque its a apt in the play store ,can tell you all that and more down load and buy a obd11 from ebay and you can do many things with your altima.
I do it in the car on my android system but also on a phone or tablet.
Car is not running in the pics so no active display ,can also read and clear codes.
You set up any display with any data you like.
View attachment 78834 View attachment 78842 View attachment 78850 View attachment 78858

2014 Altima SS

·
Registered
286 Posts
Torque its a apt in the play store ,can tell you all that and more down load and buy a obd11 from ebay and you can do many things with your altima.
I do it in the car on my android system but also on a phone or tablet.
Car is not running in the pics so no active display ,can also read and clear codes.
You set up any display with any data you like.
View attachment 78834 View attachment 78842 View attachment 78850 View attachment 78858

2014 Altima SS
And you get temperatures from your oil coolant and tranny?

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
how accurate is the horse power calcuation
Haven't played with that one yeat , have only set up one screen besides the stock one.
There is a widget you can install to display on your system home screen with your other running apts that looks interesting.
I watch this on the andriod car system.
The obd11 was only $15 carefull lots of counterfeits on eBay.
The torque pro apt is like $4.99 so its a minual investment to try this.

Came already installed for me however I also installed on my phone.

2014 Altima SS

·
Registered
243 Posts
I pick like a 3$ one on ebay and never used it cause i figre i wouldn't need it til I get an error code or something but It works just fine. HP calculates with weight at the wheel so not sure about that.

Fyi this is my freedom pop gps in the car :) it sets up to boot straight to GPS google/map nokia here and it has free 2GB internet every month for traffic info (essential in cali). but most likely I'll just keep GPS on it the sensor stuff is cool but kind of useless. it turns off every when the car stop giving it power.. but after dealign with the cali heat the battery only 10 minutes rotfl... my 3 hour battery life became a capacitor

·
Registered
488 Posts
I pick like a 3$ one on ebay and never used it cause i figre i wouldn't need it til I get an error code or something but It works just fine. HP calculates with weight at the wheel so not sure about that.

Fyi this is my freedom pop gps in the car :) it sets up to boot straight to GPS google/map nokia here and it has free 2GB internet every month for traffic info (essential in cali). but most likely I'll just keep GPS on it the sensor stuff is cool but kind of useless. it turns off every when the car stop giving it power.. but after dealign with the cali heat the battery only 10 minutes rotfl... my 3 hour battery life became a capacitor
Thats really cool !
Hp did work but i stoped at the end of the drive way ,all of 20 feet .
View attachment 78922

2014 Altima SS

·
Registered
488 Posts

Yours is showing values too that might be a option not sure haven't tried.

2014 Altima SS

·
Registered
488 Posts

Hi ha do you leave your obd pluged in all the time ,wondering if it will burn out that way?

2014 Altima SS

·
Registered
488 Posts
And you get temperatures from your oil coolant and tranny?
There is a addon in the google play store thats supposed to add some trans sensors, can not validate as I have not used it.
Its called advanced LT for Nissan

2014 Altima SS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts