The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

In search of a solution for the whining noise coming from my 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 S power steering system. The Nissan dealerships that I've been to say it's normal I'm not believing that for a minute. Hoping to find some helpful advice has anyone had this issue with their Altima and was the problem ever fixed? Hoping to find some helpful advice and will definitely post anything that might help others with their vehicle as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello All,

In search of a solution for the whining noise coming from my 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 S power steering system. The Nissan dealerships that I've been to say it's normal I'm not believing that for a minute. Hoping to find some helpful advice has anyone had this issue with their Altima and was the problem ever fixed? Hoping to find some helpful advice and will definitely post anything that might help others with their vehicle as well.
If you are talking about the nose that sounds like a dentist drilling it is normal unfortunately. For whatever reason Nissan has been using the same loud electric power steering motors for years. My 14 does it. If you look in the manual under power steering they even state it's normal so they do know about it. They put that felt padding over the motor to try and make the sound less noisy which of course doesn't work.
It's simply a bad design. Most get used to it. Some cars aren't even as loud for whatever reason. Mine seems to be more loud in wet weather. Could be just me. Drive thru's it's real bad when the sound bounces off of the building.
I have known people to get new motors installed only to see that didn't work. Some hated it so much they traded the car in. Not much you can do about it other then get used to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Really, this is normal wow that is hard to believe. I think it is the same sound that you are describing. I have a video on youtube can you take a look / listen and let me know if that is the same sound. You will hear the noise increase as I am turning the wheel left and right.

2016 Nissan Altima - Power steering noise - YouTube

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes that is the sound. Its from the poorly designed power steering motor under that felt pad. If you look in your manual under power steering it says right there.... noise is normal. Replacing it won't fix it. My car does it without even turning the wheel. I could be sitting at a light and it does it. I can barely hear it in the cabin, but know it's there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my 2013 Altima 3.5SL brand new, power steering noise dealership stated it is normal and after owning the vehicle for about 5 years I'm kinda used to it now. Last week my car needs a new transmission so the dealership gave me a 2017 Altima 2.5, holy crap, the power steering noise from the new car is even worse than my 5 years old car, I couldn't believe and the worst part of it is that it is "normal".

·
Senior Citzen Member
73 Posts
I bought my 2013 Altima 3.5SL brand new, power steering noise dealership stated it is normal and after owning the vehicle for about 5 years I'm kinda used to it now. Last week my car needs a new transmission so the dealership gave me a 2017 Altima 2.5, holy crap, the power steering noise from the new car is even worse than my 5 years old car, I couldn't believe and the worst part of it is that it is "normal".
This is because Nissan is marketing the car to old folks like me with high frequency hearing loss.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That answers my question on if they fixed it in the 17's or not. It's probably why I see a local car dealer already has several used 17's with under 2k miles for sale.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
253 Posts

I keep getting letters - and even one phone call - from the local Nissan dealership. They want to offer me "top dollar" for my 2015 Altima for their used car department.......under the condition that I trade up to a new 2017 model. Um, yeah......I don't think so.

My 2015 is paid for and has just 42,000 miles. Not quite ready to get rid of it just yet.....even with that power steering noise that I am quite used to hearing by now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes
Yes sir my 2017 Altima has that same noise! Very annoying! Taken it back to dealer about 4 times to get it looked at but they tell me its normal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts